Reef safe inhabitants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darb2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am cycling a 75 gal tank for a reef system. I am trying to research reef safe inhabitants, and need a little help.
It is going to take time to build all of this up, but I'm only 36, and have the rest of my life to work on it, and want to start out right. :D
1. Clean up crew? nassirus snails, trochus , peppermint shrimp, maybe a starfish (brittle star?) What specimens should be avoided? Crabs, etc.
2. Reef safe fish? Clowns, maybe a tang ( I'm not sure if I have enough room) What other peaceful reef safe fish can I add that won't destroy any future corals that I might get.
3. Hardy inverts for a first time reef (in 6 mos. when conditions are good and established)

darb2 said:
1. Clean up crew? nassirus snails, trochus , peppermint shrimp, maybe a starfish (brittle star?) What specimens should be avoided? Crabs, etc.
If you want to only introduce truely "reef safe" animals, avoid anything with claws. The snails you mention are fine as would be cerith, nerite, strombus and turbo. The pepps can be a little iffy though. They are prone to snacking on dusters and zoo's. Cleaner shrimp will do a decent job with detritus and not be a concern. If you choose a star, stick with either a banded serpet or an orange or black brittle. Avoid green brittles, they are hunters.

2. Reef safe fish? Clowns, maybe a tang ( I'm not sure if I have enough room) What other peaceful reef safe fish can I add that won't destroy any future corals that I might get.
Lots of choices here, it's just a matter of compatability. A 75 gal would actually be fine for a tang but I would be sure you choose healthy specimen. It is usually best added as the last fish depending on species. Zebrasoma sp tangs would be a good choice. As far as others, I would suggest you put together a "wish list" and post it. You should get alot of good suggestions.

3. Hardy inverts for a first time reef (in 6 mos. when conditions are good and established)
If you are refering to sessile inverts, I would stick with a few small soft corals in the beginning or possibley non-branching species of LPS. There are some great beginner corals. What kind of lighting do you have?

Cheers
Steve

The kit came with 2 40 watt flourescents. I know I will need to upgrade that before adding corals.

Back
Top Bottom