Reef Safe Triggers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astride13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have come across many reef tanks with triggers. Everytime I ask, I always hear "never touches my coral" or "only caught him once or twice". It always seems to be a different species of trigger also. Has anyone ever had any experience with a reef safe trigger? I know everything says never put triggers in, but with what I could there be an exception to the rule?

You should view it more as "reef friendly" as far as these triggers are concerned. Many will not eat corals but will not hesitate eating ornamental shrimps, hermits and snails.

Some suggestions are the crosshatch, niger, sargassum and pink tail. One thing to always remember about fish suggestions though, they do not all behave the same and may do exactly the opposite of what's expected.

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s is right on the money. I would not put any triggers in a reef due to the fact that they'll go after hermits, shrimp, etc. They are best left to "aggresive only" tanks that are mixed with lions, other triggers, groupers, etc.

Thank you steve-s, you answer was what I was hoping for.

So the only concern is with small crusteseans? Are ones you listed known for nipping on any corals, anenomes, feather dusters, etc.? How about starfish?

astride13 said:
So the only concern is with small crusteseans? Are ones you listed known for nipping on any corals, anenomes, feather dusters, etc.? How about starfish?
As I said, all 4 should ignore the corals but there is no guarantee on the animals you have listed above. The highest risk trigger in the group I provided is the niger. Anemones with stronger nematocysts would be fine.

I have personally never kept a trigger with a starfish so I am unsure of that but I would guess the possibilty still exists. Hopefully someone with direct experince can offer you a more informed answer...

Cheers
Steve

I appreciate your help. If they don't touch corals, then everything else is cheaply replaced. I assume they are killing the crabs and snails for food, if so I do not mind replacing that as part of their diet. I just read online, while researching the recommended triggers, that people are setting up a new class of tank called "Aggressive Reef".

I am practicing with some small pieces of acrylic now to make a fuge. When I feel confident, I will purchase enough to make my "ridiculously big tank" (~80gal) in my game room.

Actually if you keep them properly fed, these triggers should leave the snails and hermits alone. Decorative shrimp would be the ones at the top of the menu. I also would hope that the animals you care for are not to be considered "expendable" simpley because of their price and easy availability. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Aggressive Reef, you will have to be care full with this due to the fact that they will eat your clean up crew if they are feed or not feed.... if you go a way for a weekend there is a good chance that ur clean up crew wont be there cause as much as we all say we will feed our fish everyday so they wont eat any thing else well i just cant believe that.due to running out of feeders or going away for the weekend.. im going have to say i wouldnt try it... if you dont have a clean up crew i hope you will be able to clean your tank about once a week.. i no ppl that do a 10 gallon water change a week on a 125 reef and thats with clean up crew... and your going have to have good lighting for your corals but dont be supized if you stat to get hair alge and green agle.. that you will have to brush off wit with a tooth brush... you could add curlpua (not to sure if thats the write spelling) its like a type of sea weed that would grow over your rocks to keep the agle down... i just think its a lot more work then you think it is to have a reef tank with out clean up crew.. and i cant see anyone buying shrip and crabs to last for a week when they are range anywhere in price from 2 bucks each to 10 dollars for the cheepset crab & shrimp..if you feed live be careful of spikes in your water.. get a good test kit.. and good luck

After hearing all your answers, I think I am going to try a trigger one of my reef tanks. I think if I keep them well fed, they will not touch my snails/crabs. My hermits keep eating my peppermint shrimp, so I have given up on shrimp. I will let you guys know how it goes.

As for the expendability, I do not mind replacing animals if they are food to another animal, especially a $1.00 snail. For the record, I've only had one fish die in my six years in the hobby. It was a clown that recently died of a brookynella.

Back
Top Bottom