Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice! When you purchased like 50lbs of rock, how much rocks did you actually get?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

These rocks still need to be cured too, right? Could they just be put into a tank to start a cycle or should they really be cured first?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should cure the rocks before placing them into the tank.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwilley718 View Post
These rocks still need to be cured too, right? Could they just be put into a tank to start a cycle or should they really be cured first?
If you're starting a cycle, add in the rocks while the tank cycles. It will cure at the same time. Just an fyi, it will stink really bad for a few days during part of the cycle/curing.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I were to purchase 15 pounds of reef saver rock (also knowing that they are very porous) how much rocks will I actually receive?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yesterday I ordered 15 lbs as well and the shipping label says the box is 19 lbs. I will report about how many pieces I receive, size, condition, etc when they arrive Monday or Tuesday!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks so much. I want to purchase some but I wouldn't be happy with like 6 pieces of rock when buying like 20lbs
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

The size of the rock varies as well as the shape. A lot depends on how dense the piece is. When I ordered 100 punds I got 102 spread out over 18 pieces. I have one piece that is about the size of a football and very light. Another piece is somewhat smaller but weighs a LOT more because of the density. As a rough guess I would say 15 pounds is about the size of 3 footballs, more or less. You can ask for sizes and/or shapes and they do try to accomodate, but their stock is in large boxes and they have to pick from what they have accessable. If you can ask for 1 large rock, you can break/cut it to suit your needs.

If you have a specific question or need a more accurate estimate you can write to them from their web page and they will get an answer back to you in short order, usually the next business day at the latest. These guys have always been quick to answer and offer good advice.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
If you're starting a cycle, add in the rocks while the tank cycles. It will cure at the same time. Just an fyi, it will stink really bad for a few days during part of the cycle/curing.
+1 on adding the rocks during the cycle. For mine, I never did get any bad odors.

One thing I will recommend: Rinse these rocks thoroughly! They have a LOT of dust and small debris inside the open areas that eventually come out as the water flows through them. They have been dug up from a dead reef that became part of dry land and they do contain a lot of dust even though they have been washed prior to BRS getting them.

During shipping you will also get some dust and possibly some small parts breaking off (keep them for rubble or to fill in any open areas when you stack the rocks) if the rocks bang together during shipment. BRS packages their products well, but there is still the possibility of some breakage.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably order some once there's a group purchase or something.

Tags
reef, rock, supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com