Reef Safer Rock From Bulkreefsupply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about getting this rock for my 55gal because live rock can get costly. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this rock and if I should buy it? Also, on the website when you choose how much you would like to purchase, there is a box with the amount in it. Does that state the amount of rocks you want to buy or how much lbs you want?

It means how many pounds you want on the website.

I personally have not ordered any of BRS 's rock yet but those that have love it, specially the pukani rock.

I will be starting a group buy today or tomorrow for BRS and the rock will go on sale for sale next week during the group buy so if you are gonna get any I suggest ypu join the group buy and save some cash! lol

I've never participated in a group buy. What are the benefits? I'm very curious.

For a group buy you just send me your last name and email address and register at bulkreefsupply.com with that same email. The group buys start on a tuesday and run for a week. During that time all prices on the website will be from 5-20% cheaper than non group buy time. You get the items shipped to you and you pay through brs. Pretty easy and saves some cash. After the group buy is over you will get a permanent discount of about 5-10% on most items too.

Oh wow! I'll make sure to check your threads to look for group buys because It sounds very interesting!

I bought a small piece of the reef saver rock. Don't get me wrong, it was nice. It seemed like a small puzzle piece that needed others to make a larger aquascape. In the end I went with the more expensive Pukani rock. I just loved the look of them. Each piece was really unique.

It all just depends on how you want the rockscape to look like. All their rock is really nice.

Yeah the Pukani looks amazing but the price is a but high if your planning on buying a lot.

Yeah the Pukani looks amazing but the price is a but high if your planning on buying a lot.

Another option you might want to look at is The Reef Rock Store I bought a 50lb box from them and it was great. Just tell him what kind of scape you are going with and he will try and get you rocks to fit it. I got about 55lbs in the 50lb box it is nice a porous and there was very little ruble in the box.

Thanks for the advice. I have a question. If I did buy the reef saver rock off of bfs, 15lbs worth of it, how much rocks would I get? Also knowing that they have lots of pores.

I have 100 pounds of reef saver rock from BRS in my 90 gallon tall tank (48x33x13 inches). I really like it except that it seems to drop a lot of dust and small debris in the tank. That is really bad considering I have black Tahitian Moon sand, but that is my problem. I am nearing the end of my cycle and have a lot of coraline starting to show up.

Here is a pic, the only difference being the removal of all the shells on the bottom since I thought they took away from the look of the tank...

Attachments

• DSC03692a.jpg
    DSC03692a.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 480
Nice! When you purchased like 50lbs of rock, how much rocks did you actually get?

These rocks still need to be cured too, right? Could they just be put into a tank to start a cycle or should they really be cured first?

You should cure the rocks before placing them into the tank.

These rocks still need to be cured too, right? Could they just be put into a tank to start a cycle or should they really be cured first?

If you're starting a cycle, add in the rocks while the tank cycles. It will cure at the same time. Just an fyi, it will stink really bad for a few days during part of the cycle/curing.

If I were to purchase 15 pounds of reef saver rock (also knowing that they are very porous) how much rocks will I actually receive?

Yesterday I ordered 15 lbs as well and the shipping label says the box is 19 lbs. I will report about how many pieces I receive, size, condition, etc when they arrive Monday or Tuesday!

Thanks so much. I want to purchase some but I wouldn't be happy with like 6 pieces of rock when buying like 20lbs

The size of the rock varies as well as the shape. A lot depends on how dense the piece is. When I ordered 100 punds I got 102 spread out over 18 pieces. I have one piece that is about the size of a football and very light. Another piece is somewhat smaller but weighs a LOT more because of the density. As a rough guess I would say 15 pounds is about the size of 3 footballs, more or less. You can ask for sizes and/or shapes and they do try to accomodate, but their stock is in large boxes and they have to pick from what they have accessable. If you can ask for 1 large rock, you can break/cut it to suit your needs.

If you have a specific question or need a more accurate estimate you can write to them from their web page and they will get an answer back to you in short order, usually the next business day at the latest. These guys have always been quick to answer and offer good advice.

If you're starting a cycle, add in the rocks while the tank cycles. It will cure at the same time. Just an fyi, it will stink really bad for a few days during part of the cycle/curing.

+1 on adding the rocks during the cycle. For mine, I never did get any bad odors.

One thing I will recommend: Rinse these rocks thoroughly! They have a LOT of dust and small debris inside the open areas that eventually come out as the water flows through them. They have been dug up from a dead reef that became part of dry land and they do contain a lot of dust even though they have been washed prior to BRS getting them.

During shipping you will also get some dust and possibly some small parts breaking off (keep them for rubble or to fill in any open areas when you stack the rocks) if the rocks bang together during shipment. BRS packages their products well, but there is still the possibility of some breakage.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably order some once there's a group purchase or something.

Back
Top Bottom