Reef setup for a Clown Fish environment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smidge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys,

I've been keeping fish for many years but they've always been FW. I've had tons of great advice from this site and you fab guys on this forum but unfortunately i'm dipping the bucket into the well of knowledge once more. Please feel free to point me in another direction if you like but your help will be greatly appreciated.

As i said, i've been keeping tropical freshwater fish for many years with lots of success so i have a handle on that. I'd really like to set up a reef tank that could house some clown fish and maybe some other very colourful sw fish too! My little boy (2 years old) loves Finding Nemo so i'd really like to do this for him. It gives me an opportunity to take the plunge into SW too, as i've flirted with the idea for years...

I know that there are a lot of new things i need to bear in mind when starting this but i was wondering if you would be able to give me your pearls of wisdom for setting this up? I'm thinking about 55 gallon.

Thanks you guys...

Smidge

Welcome to the SW side. We will help you out just post any questions and we will help out. Clown fish are an excellent addition to the SW tank.

Wow...I could spend hours typing a response, but instead I urge you to check out the links provided to get started. A 55gal is a wonderful size for your first SW tank, the bigger the better in terms of water parameter stability and a 55 is great. Next step should be to decide what type of tank you want eventually...FOWLR or reef. That will effect some of the decision making process now. Keep reading and keep asking questions!

Welcome to the wonderful (and expensive) world of SW!!! :p

Right well my first question would be "what's the difference between FOWLR and Reef?"

The other thing I was wondering was what are the species of fish that feature in "Finding Nemo"? Not the big ones obviously! And can these speciaes be homed with each other effectively?

thanks again.

Smidge

Smidge said:
"what's the difference between FOWLR and Reef?"
Fish Only With Live Rock typically don't have corals. Reef is more dedicated to corals. With the reef you will need to watch what critters you add to the tank, so they don't eat your corals.

Great. Which set up would i be better with if i wanted to keep clownfish?

Either or. If you are thinking of getting an anemone you might be headed to reefing and will need better lighting than FOWLR. Keep in mind, the anemone will need to be housed in a mature tank for 9-12 months and clowns may or may not host one.

So do i have to have an anemone for my clown or will it be happy in a FOWLR tank? With it being my first attempt at Saltie tanks then i want to try and make it as easy as possible. I'd really like to have as many of the colourful fish that feature in the Finding Nemo film cos my little boy will love it. However i am very aware (i've kept FW for about 10 years) that this might not be possible, hence Clowns being my priority..

Smidge said:
So do i have to have an anemone for my clown or will it be happy in a FOWLR tank?
Not at all. They sometimes host the strangest things, like ph, other coral or even a corner of the tank.
A 55 will give you quite a few options. I like to browse liveaquatia.com for great info on critters, you can also check out saltwaterfish.com. Those are the 2 sites I use the most. There are plenty of other sites as well, but I have dound liveaquaria to be the most accurate.

Great! Thanks for all of your help. You don't happen to know the species of fish that feature in finding nemo do you?

Sounds like Scott gave you some very good info. I want to reinterate that you do not need an anenome for them to be happy. Also that they need a very mature tank to survive. A reef tank sure would look nice though. LOL

So by a mature tank you mean that i couldn't just setup a tank and they'd be my first inhabitants? I'd have to have had the tank up and running for how long? Years, months?

A mature tank of 9-12 months for the anenmoe, the fish can go in after the cycle is complete and you nitrAtes are less than 20ppm.

Melousu58 meant (I think) that the anenome needs a mature tank... not the clown fish. Most folks' first inhabitants are clowns, from what I can tell!

My O. Clown has been just happy for 6-7 months without any anenomes. The front left corner of my tank is his "host"! He's just now venturing into a little overhang/cave near his old home and seems to like it there too. He never strayed much away from home, until I added a Bangaii Cardinal. The cardinal like to hang out by Nemo's home too, and when he wanders off for a while, Nemo will venture out and find him! Pretty cute to watch.

Anyways... Clowns will do just fine in a new tank, without an anenome.

edit: Looks like Roka and I were typing away at the same time!

You guys are just great. Thanks.

I'd already started to look into the whole cast thing. Dori is no good as she'd need more space. I can't have a Moorish Idol either (Gill). I could have a butterfly fish though... i think.

I'm gonna try and find out what the whole cast is in terms of species and then work it from there..

I definitely can't have Bruce ;)

Back
Top Bottom