Reef tank started need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

styles215

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I have a 125g tank and I just started add coral to the tank I have really good lighting and my filtering gph is 12x's.. The coral was a gift so I don't what I got lol but wanted someone to identify them for me I will attach pics.. Fish wise I have a yellow, yellow eye, scopus and blue hippo tang, lawn mower Blenny , watchman goby, coral beauty, fire fish, small snowflake eel, and maroon clown. Inverts I have coral banded, arrow crab, flame scallop, live barnacle, 2 emblems, and Sally light foot. Calcium is 390 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 ph 8.2.. I just wanted some advice on I y'all thing I should get or/and get rid of.. And any advice on what I should check would be great! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394595065.252222.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394595123.426419.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394595160.437108.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394595223.034143.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394595371.727569.jpg

I would axe the eel if I were you. It will eat your smaller fish and crabs, plus it can ruin your rock work. Picture two looks like pulsing Xenia which is basically a weed problem lying in wait. That's my two cents

That's a lot of fish in a short time. I agree on the eel. They have no place in reef tanks. Reef tanks are best void of predators. I would not trust that suction cup ammonia thing. It's worthless. Get some liquid test kits. What exactly are the really good lights you got?

I have the marine land led's 6 foot.. But in just out that suction cup in there I still do my drops .. But I been had my fish I had a whole bunch of stuff in there at one point 3 puffers,trigger, grouper.. I feel my eel is good I like him lol but if he ever do something I'll get rid of him.. But at fish I had a predator tank and I had the other gobies and stuff in there before I had the coral.. It was like a 3 week period.. What do you think I can add?

I'm gonna say nothing as that eel and the tangs all get large. Those aren't very good lights. Even the reef capable ones can just keep softies alive and some lps

I'm gonna say nothing as that eel and the tangs all get large. Those aren't very good lights. Even the reef capable ones can just keep softies alive and some lps
Yep. You are fully stocked IMO. Even though the fish may appear small now, they will not be for long and crowding will just make them stressed, which will lower their immune systems, and then they usually succumb to disease. bribo is correct in that those marineland fixtures are definitely not considered high lighting. moderate to low would be more accurate.

Picture 1 is green star polyps. picture 2 is, like said above, are Xenia. And picture 3 looks like Zoas to me. And not to beat a dead horse but yea the eel will eat anything in your tank that it can fit in it's mouth. Once it gets comfortable in your tank the blood bath with soon follow :(

Really? That light cost me like 400.. Thought would b a good like for hard coral.. I could take it back n get better. What do you suggest? And how many watts should I have for hard coral..?

It's not watts that you are looking for, and no, that fixture definitely will not support sps.
If we are talking LED, the fixtures that folks are using to support corals in tanks as deep as yours and deeper utilize 3 watt LEDs. The overall wattage of these fixtures vary, $400.00 is nothing for LEDs over a 6' tank. I have seen people spend over $2000.00 for units with all the bells and whistles. Many of us use bare bones LED panels from Ebay and Amazon that will allow you to grow whatever you want, and for your tank will probably run you under $300.00. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of your lighting.

Back
Top Bottom