Reef Tank - What do I need to test for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to get into corals now and I hope I can get some clarification on what I need to be measuring.

I believe the two I should be focusing on is calcium and phosphates. Is there anything else I should be looking for or supplementing? I've heard iodide(?) several times, can someone clarify if this is something I should be looking into. Its just I've seen around the web statements like "if you do regular water changes you'll be fine in terms of trace elements".

calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are the only things you need to worry about (besides the basics). i've never tested for iodide, and have never added any. those statements you are seeing around the 'net are true.

I agree with Doug. I only test and dose calcium, alk and magnesium. Depending on the corals you keep, you may not have to dose anything.
"if you do regular water changes you'll be fine in terms of trace elements"
That is true. All the major synthetic salt mixes have everything you need.

The best product that I have found for iodine is vibrance by aquavitro...it raises the iodide levels in your tank, which is a non-toxic form of iodine...you will need a tester that tests for iodide/iodine levels...a lot of people add iodine/iodide to the tank to prevent specific species of fish from getting goiters and it adds to the colour of the corals (wither this is true or not I don't know, but I do know all my corals grow very quickly :p)

also aquavitro makes products to maintain calcium, pH, magnesium...ect. I would suggest looking into the products made by aquavitro

As everyone else has said don't add anything unless you test for it

Back
Top Bottom