Reef tank with normal salt water crystals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I'm setting up my 5 gallon reef tank, but I accidentally bought normal instant ocean salt crystals, not the reef crystals. Is this ok? Can I set up the reef by using those salt crystals? Or do I need the reef crystals?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would I have to dose with any other minerals? Like calcium or magnesium? I'm really new to this.

Right away? I doubt it. But in a small system it depends on how much is in there. Get good test kits for all, calcium, and mag so you can accurately monitor them and when water changes aren't enough to keep up with what is being used up, it'll be time to look into dosing.

I have a 30g reef and 55g reef. I use regular Instant Ocean for both and have corals. Reef crystals are nice because they already have a higher level of cal and mag than the regular does, but mine have been just fine with regular. I have a bottle of cal and mag for when my levels get to low, but I don't have to use it much.

The only way you will know if you have to dose is if you check the parameters.

Thanks for all the help guys, what brands of liquid tests would you recommend? I heard there were some kits that were better then the API test kits. I forget the names.

Each setup is going to be different if for no other reason than having different corals using up the elements.
I'm sure that when just starting out with small/medium frags just regular water changes with either would suffice. As the corals grow then you will most likely need to begin using a Reef Crystals or another different salt mix or using additives.
regular testing is the only way to know.

that is just my opinion

You need to test the water you mix before you install it to tank IMO.
It is the only way to know or develop a baseline.
You have to know where you start and then find where the tank takes you.
I have been very surprised when I have tested mixes and for most part use reef crystals.

Back
Top Bottom