Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Reef with No fish ok??

I am new and want to start a reef tank. trouble is that I travel for a living and am gone 4 nights a week.

I was thinking that I could do coral only so that I don't starve the fish when I am away.

Will this work? Also if I use live rock, will the coral produce enough waste to keep the live rock / sand live and happy?

Thanks
Juan

Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The problem with being gone for so long is that if something dies and you arent there to remove it, it will rot and could cause your system to crash.

You could have a coral only tank and be just fine as long as you keep your lights on a timer. Its possible you could get away with some fish too, although eating once every four days would piss them off. They make automatic fish feeders, but if your more interested in coral, then fish would make for a really unnecesary challenge.

I would be more worried about my tank spilling or something and not being around to do anything. Another issue would be water evaporation. You can bet that will present a challenge trying to top off the water. If you dont, and too much water evaporates, then your salinity will rise and could anger your tank.

Matt

Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's quite possible. You'll have to feed your corals a little though. And have good lights and an auto-top off system.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a sump you could rig a float switch to drip FW into the tank as the water level drops. That would help with the water level.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like the other post stated your main problem would be evaporation and an ATO would remedy that. Feeding your corals every four days would be enough to also feed your LR and sand. The problem I see is in the initial setup as a SW tank takes lots of tweeking in the first year. I just installed a larger reservoir for my ATO from autotopoff.com so that I can be gone for 10 days on a future trip.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You travel 4 days every week? That makes a dif as opposed to being gone 4 days per week every so often.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unfortunately I am gone every week. i leave Monday morning and get back midnight or so on Thursday.

The automatic top off sounds good. what would the floater switch look like?

Also what would I need to feed the coral and rock / sand. I thought the coral had alge in them that fed off the sunlight?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

they need some kind of decaying matter... (the sand/rock) basically the leftover of the coral food will be enough... corals need different kinds of plankton and some very small pieces of fish food...(like powder size)
This is a float switch... there are lots of kinds...
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Understand the more you automate the greater your risk if something fails and you are gone for several days. I agree that the system/corals would still need feedings.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juangringo View Post
Unfortunately I am gone every week. i leave Monday morning and get back midnight or so on Thursday.

The automatic top off sounds good. what would the floater switch look like?

Also what would I need to feed the coral and rock / sand. I thought the coral had alge in them that fed off the sunlight?

Thanks
Read this:AutoTopoff.com

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com