Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Refuge overflow size?

So I have a 29gal that's been up for about 4 months. Bought a 10 gal for a refuge (only size to fit under my stand.) So here's my question, looking at overflows, i saw an eshopps on Dr. Fosters that's rated up to 200 GPH and one that's rated up to 300GPH. Knowing that I'll need a pump to match, but not exceed those numbers for return.

For a tank my size are either of theses too small, big, or good for my tank, about right?

Want to make it a fuge with some chaeto and I'll be getting an Eshopps HOB skimmer too. I like it because it has the pump on the outside.

Thanks and any other info needed let me know
willy0508

Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

for a small tank like that you're better off goign with an HOB a sump/fuge is alot of work and you'll have to still cut a section out for a return, so the volume of the fuge will mostlikely be the same as an HOB. and you'd have to worry about back siphoning and what not. an HOB is simple and effective

Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #3

Thanks Gti but I have a hob but didn't like the big pump in the Tank. Didn't like that the light reflected in the tank at night and the area for the chaeto didn't seen to get enough flow. It was below the return. I was also a little worried about the weight sitting on the back of the tank. I just didnt' seem to work very good.

Maybe I just don't have a good one, got it free from a friend.

I'd like to try a sump/refuge for this tank for practice when our new house is done and I get my BIGGER tank.

So if i'm doing one on this tank would the 200GPH work or should I go 300GPH?

Here's my tank as is. The HOB filter is there until the skimmer gets here and to help clean up since I just rearranged the rock.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

200 gph is fine

what size pump did your HOB have?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

I'm thinking it was one of the HOB's from Aquatraders. It had a skimmer built in and it said 250 on it. My buddy got it from Ebay. I took it off the other day since the intake leaked a little. When I went to take it apart to put some tape around the threads the intake tube broke right at the edge of the threads.

I super glued it back but since I built the other tank I was interested in trying it.

It looked like this only the pump was bigger and the return area is a little bigger. Other than that it's the same. But he got it on Ebay.

Filtration - Reef - Hang On Refugium with Protein Skimmer

Could that pump be used as the return or should I invest in a better one?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahh 250 ghp and it had a venturi for the skimmer so mostliekly the flow through it was 100 or so gph its a little bit slow but its also onyl a 14 icnh unit plus the skimmer so give or take 11 inches to play with, so not much chaeto is able to grow in it.

i plan on building one for my 26g which will be 18x5x16 and i don't think i'll be putting a skimmer in it, although i might but i'll let you know how it works
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #7

Thanks keep me posted. I'm going to try this out with the 200. I'll need to get a good return pump. Any recommendations? I'm getting a HOB skimmer since I have a small refuge.
Going to order one from Eshopps, PSK75 or 100, that has the pump on the outside.

I'll post back once I test, test some more and get the refuge running.

Thanks for all the help Gti!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

no problem

mag pumps seem to be the pumps of choice though

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com