Refuge problem/ water level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all

I have a 30 gal long with a 10 gal Refugium. just a simple j tube to grav. feed water down 5/8 hose to sump. Then a 280 gph pump to bring it back to the tank. Each line has a ball valve to control flow. My problem is that no matter how hard I try I cant get it stable. Either flows down to fast,up too slow or visa vera. Any tips out ther? Should I use a weir? A larger pump? etc

Also any way to prevent water flowing back to th Refuge on the pump side. Overflow side has an air break in it Thanks

The system should not need a valve on the supply line, you should keep yours open all the way. The valve on the return can be used to control the systems flow. To prevent the back siphoning all you need to do is drill a small hole below the water level on the return spout. This will allow some water to flow back but it will limit it greatly. Check the attached link as it has an animated clip off how the overflow and return work.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

i belive all you need is a valve from refugium pump back to main tank.
that way it will control the flow, unless your overflow is made of another pump,which doesn't make sense =)

Back
Top Bottom