Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It allows benthic fauna to populate without predation, possible remote dsb or other savy filtrations, and facility to grow beneficial macroalgaes allowing more natural filtration methods.

It's basically a portion of your overall filtration. Macro algae (marine plants) eat up and use the excess nutrients in your water. The fuge allows for a controlled environment for those plants to grow and do their work. As innovator said it is also a safe place for pods and other critters to grow and reproduce.

The refugium is an excellent natural form of filtration and I highly recommend adding one to a reef system.

Pretty much any thing that will hold water will work as a fuge. I use a 20g tall for mine. I have seen custom built right down to walmart totes. It's all in what your budget is like and what space you have.

They do run the gamet. Mine is just part of my sump. They sell hang on fuge's for mid-siz tanks. The bucket under the tank works too. Any place you can grow macro algae will work.

Back
Top Bottom