Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my tank up and flowing water. My question is every day i have had to adjust the pump because the pump section is low on water so i fill it back to the water line and close the valve a little more. My pump is a mag drive 1200 with an eshoop 30 gallon refugium and a 110g corner over flow tank. Is what im experiencing just evaporation or is there a deeper problem? Any help would be great

That's just evaporation. Top it off with Ro/Di water and stop turning down the pump, its normal.

My question is every day i have had to adjust the pump because the pump section is low on water so i fill it back to the water line

When you say "every day" how much water are you losing, you shouldn't be losing so much "every day" that you MUST add water right away or adjust a valve (unless the pump sits high in the sump). Are we talking a a few gallons a day or about 1 gallon or less? If it is evaporation, is the tank near a window where it gets alot of sunlight or heat what type of lights are you using what temp is the tank. I personally add 5 gallons every weekend so ~gallon a day I'd say is normal.

No lights on it yet and i would have to guess around a gallon per day would sound about right

I think my pump area of my sump is just too low it suggests like a 4" water line and that only leaves like an inch of water above the pump

Ya I'd be looking into either an ATO system or somehow increase the size of your return chamber.

No lights on it yet and i would have to guess around a gallon per day would sound about right

I'd say its normal evaporation. I would recommend keeping water on hand to top off or get an auto top off system as opposed to turning down the pump. Turning down the pump means less water turn over which means less filtration plus restricting the pump could possibly shorten the life of the pump.

What i did last night was covered the tank and 3/4 of the sump with acrylic and added water to the pump chamber to increase its depth so ill see what it looks like when i get home

Don't cover it too much as you dont want to deplete your O2 levels. Evaporation is a battle we all deal with unless you buy yourself an ATO.

Back
Top Bottom