Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I'm in the process of building a 10g sump/refugium for a 20g long. I was wondering if you could post pics of your Mebbid including the plumbing etc. so I have a better grasp of one like mine that works

Old 02-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 20 gallon reef tank and a few months ago I had this question myself. I did some research and found a Hang on back breeding box that I use for my refugium. Is got some compartments to separate your media or chaeto (which I have). I have a lamp over it to grow the chaeto and it works really well.

It was relatively cheap, you just need to buy a small pump that will pull the water into the refugium from the tank. I bought one for really cheap that I can adjust the flow and fitted it on the intake tube with another small tube to make a snug fit. It works pretty well. But it's up to you if you'd want something off the back of the tank.

It's something like this:

Amazon.com: Marina Hang-On Breeding Box, Large: Pet Supplies

20 Gal Saltwater
Andy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you guys think the best design is for a 10 gallon sump with a refugium
Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantGetRite View Post
sorry for hi-jacking your thread but I'm in the process of building a 10g sump/refugium for a 20g long. I was wondering if you could post pics of your Mebbid including the plumbing etc. so I have a better grasp of one like mine that works
Mine is SUPER simple. I basically have a HOB overflow on my 20g tank and it drains through PVC into the 10g tank underneath it. I didn't bother to modify the 10g tank to create separate chambers. Then I have a pump connected to plastic tubing pushing water up into the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb24 View Post
What do you guys think the best design is for a 10 gallon sump with a refugium
If I were to redo my refugium this is the design I would use.

The baffles cause a very specific depth of water to be maintained in the aquarium. I would probably make this design deeper to maximize the amount of water in it however.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't plan on having a skimmer or anything in my refugium so instead of the single baffle I have a corner where the water hits and where live rock rubble will be then overflow into the main refugium part where I will have a heater and live rock and deep sand bed.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds good to me. Skip the deep sand bed though.they aren't necessary in a refugium. You will gain more benefit by adding macro algae.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had planned to do both. I have a 5 month old 10g and I plan on just move most of the sand into the refugium. I should create a dsb without me really doing anything. I just need to figure out where to get macro algae. Petco is the only place near me really.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantGetRite View Post
I had planned to do both. I have a 5 month old 10g and I plan on just move most of the sand into the refugium. I should create a dsb without me really doing anything. I just need to figure out where to get macro algae. Petco is the only place near me really.
I would look on craigslist for anyone selling corals, fish, etc. and see if they will give you some of the algae from their refugium, if you can't find anyone there, post a thread on here asking if anyone is nearby to your town and willing to harvest some from their tank for you.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

So if I was gonna use it also to produce pods I would need a deep sand bed and live rock? What about miracle mud? Anyone recommend it?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb24 View Post
So if I was gonna use it also to produce pods I would need a deep sand bed and live rock? What about miracle mud? Anyone recommend it?
Skip the deep sand bed and miracle mud. Just go with refugium rubble instead. All in all it won't really allow you to grow enough pods to sustain fish that survive off of them though.

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com