Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2003, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Refugium design, I have been thinking....

I was sitting at my computer today, looking around on nano-reef and here at pictures. I am always looking at the SPS tanks, and stuff like that. I know I already brought up the question about the 70 watt metal halide, and it was looked down upon, so I will try and not let that get into this discussion. Anyways, as I was looking at Kevins tank, I realized why I like it so much. It is just freaking awesome, that got me thinking about why mine doesnt look like that and whatever you know the deal. I then realized I have been trying to do too much at one time, and I need to sit back a bit. I now realize that setting up the 5.5 as a SW tank was actually not all for the best, but the way I did it, I am happy.

Here are my plans:

Let the 5.5 cycle and then run, letting the pod population grow as there will be no fish or any other things that will inhibit their reproduction. Then take the rock, and sand which will eventually become live, and transfer it over the the 7 gallons fuge. I have like a 1" inch sand bed all the way across, and would like one, simple 5 inch sand bed in a closed portion. The room my tank is in, has an ambient room temperature of like, 82 degrees or something absurd. This is fine, but my tank stays at about 84, and in the day rises to 86. I am really wanting an iceprobe chiller with digital controller, and think that is gonna have to be my next investment in this hobby. So the frags wait until I get better lighting (wont say what, although im sure you all know).

Here is my diagram for the fuge. I am wondering where the baffles should be placed, and how far from what they should be. I have never seen anything that gives an example and would love some information on it.

I am doing all this because I figure that it would be much better to have one amazing tank, than 6032 "OK" ones. BTW, I will never be getting another tank as I want all my efforts into this one, as it seems it will take them all. Thanks a ton.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

BUMP

I really need to know the dim. of the baffles, how far apart should the be, and how far from the top and bottom should they be. Do I even have them in the right spot?

Old 07-20-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

d9hp, do you have any fans running inside your canopy? Our 5 never gets that hot, but then we only have a 50/50 compact clip on light on it also. I was just curious, I know chillers can be expensive. 8O
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no fans, but the light isnt really what is doing it, its the room.

Tags
design, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com