Refugium mud/sand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

super-duty

Aquarium Advice Regular
How important is it to have in your refugium? I am thinking if you have a good amount of rock and sand in you DT would you need it? I was thinking on just putting some small LR's and a couple of types of macro and a couple magroves. Or am I thinking wrong?

Next question should I stock it with those items when I start my cycle or wait a bit?

You actually don't really need it. It's made and used to help corals flourish in the tank, but as long as your water conditions are close to impeccable, your corals will grow just as healthy and as fast as if they used mineral mud. I would however put sand in the refugium. It makes for a good environment for copepods as well as the live rock, but i guess it wouldn't be necessary. Putting macro in the refugium would be a good idea too. Gets rid of any excess nutrients that may cause your nitrates to rise.

I have in my refuge a layer of miracle mud covered by a layer of sand. If I had to do it over again I would not have used the miracle mud. I personally dont see where I accomplished anything with it.

Yeah melosu, that's what i've heard from two other people as well. I don't see the point in it at all either because as long as you have strong lighting and good water conditions, corals will grow just fine and still be really colorful.

Well.. i don't know if theres anything called mineral sand.. but if there is.. then i wouldn't know anything about it lol. But putting regular aragonite sand in your refugium is definitely a plus. I know almost everyone that has refugiums has sand in there.

Back
Top Bottom