Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

refugium noob needs help

i have a 55 gal. reef tank and some just gave my a 30gal tank. i want to turn it into a refuge. my question is if i'm going to set it up next to my tank(about 3 feet down) what type of powerhead should i use(flow rates?) and what types of lights do i need?

Old 02-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Low flow, and 6500k type grow lights. There's a thread on here for a specific brand of light from home depot that people recommend. use a reverse light cycle from the main.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your flow thorough the fuge should be in the range of 10x tank volume per hour. Meaning your fuge should recycle 550 gph if you have a 55 gal tank. This is the exact specs of my tank and I am having great results. Also don't forget to calculate the head height into your flow calculations, most pumps give you specific rates that their pumps pump at certain heights. I use the Rio pumps my self, cheap and I have had no problem with their dependability. The one I'm using in my sump was my main powerhead for the last year so I'm on the second year with no problems. And a simple Home Depot home made lighting fixture is the way to go, don't need fancy lighting to grow a little macro. My gallery shows my sump set up, though it's been updated with live rock and skimmer. Good luck.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
Your flow thorough the fuge should be in the range of 10x tank volume per hour. Meaning your fuge should recycle 550 gph if you have a 55 gal tank. This is the exact specs of my tank and I am having great results. Also don't forget to calculate the head height into your flow calculations, most pumps give you specific rates that their pumps pump at certain heights. I use the Rio pumps my self, cheap and I have had no problem with their dependability. The one I'm using in my sump was my main powerhead for the last year so I'm on the second year with no problems. And a simple Home Depot home made lighting fixture is the way to go, don't need fancy lighting to grow a little macro. My gallery shows my sump set up, though it's been updated with live rock and skimmer. Good luck.

That sounds like way too much flow for a fuge. If your fuge is 10 gallons that would be 55 x fuge volume per hour. That calculates to almost a complete fuge turnover every minute.

If you tee off your return into your fuge and put a ball valve on it you can reduce the flow to a much slower flow for your fuge and still get a high flow for your main tank. That is assuming you have a sump/refuge. If you just use the 30 gallon as a fuge only then still keep the flow rate low. I would go ahead and at least divide it now in case you want to add an in sump protein skimmer later. You could put your return pump in the other side and open it for full flow and still have the low flow to your fuge like I was saying.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I also disagree with the 10x flow for a fuge. For a sump, sure, but for a fuge, everything I've read suggests slow movement is preferable.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry guys and gals, always been a big fan of as much flow as possibly whether it be a sump or a fuge. I've used this calculation in as little as a 2 gallon fuge on a 10 gallon tank and grew macros that were overflowing out of the 2 gallon weekly. All happy and never had any issues. IMO of course.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fuge has very little flow. I personally wouldn't have very much, as I believe the macro is more effective at absorbing nitrates if the flow is slower. As PatM said, JMO.

Jim

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com