Refugium substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef Mechanic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello peeps, I'm looking for thoughts on a substrate for my refugium. Was thinking about a deep sand bed or maybe a commercial mud. What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• image-2323872545.jpg
    image-2323872545.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 79
I have a regular fine sand as the substrate in my fuge, about 3 inches of it. I went with the DSB in the DT so i went easy on the sand in the sump LOL.

I was thinking of about the same. I hear mixed thoughts on sand beds in fuges. Have u had any problems? I am planning on some small rock pieces,cheato, and maybe a mantis shrimp for in there.

I would avoid the mud, unless you have a means of replenishing it easily and cheaply. In truth, the mud is a very, very fine sand and if you read carefully, it usually indicates that it needs replenished regularly.

I have small live rock pieces,chaeto, gracliera and some caulerpa macros in my fuge. So far I have been running 0 nitrates and it's been in place about 6 months. Compared to the 55g I have that has no fuge it's a marked improvement and I'm very pleased with it.

I do have a pretty large area though, I think the larger the area of substrate and larger amount of macro will yield better results in comparison to a limited fuge area.

Back
Top Bottom