Refugium substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcdwep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What does everyone think is the best substrate to use in a refugium and why? I am in the process of establishing a homemade refugium (30 gal) and have plenty of crushed coral that I recently removed from the main tank (75gal). Would this be recommended to use? It would save me $$$ if I could get favorable results from it.

In my last fuge I used cc for the bottom layer 2 inches or so, and then sand on top of that for 2 to 3 inches. Then just add your cleaners and macro if you are adding it. Also if you have it you can add some live rock rubble. That will help you grow pods also.

I'm using 5" of aragonite to try to set up a small DSB. Will add LR rubble and chaetomorpha after my cycle is compete.

What about the mud? Any difference in using it?
And Kat did your CC come to the top of the sand after a while?

No the weight of the sand keeps it down. Your flow in a fuge is very slow. Not much current.

Your flow in a fuge is very slow. Not much current.

Fortunately, in a rare moment of successful advance planning, I actually thought of this when designing my sump. The water from my tank enters into TWO chanbers of the sump:skimmer chamber and fuge chamber. The rate to the chambers is regulated through the use of a ball valve.

I actually have a pretty substantial current through my refugium - I want to keep a ball of Chaetomorpha rolling a bit to get my pods all excited.

Back
Top Bottom