Refugium-substrate suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokiums

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I'm about to start building my fuge and wanted to see what you guys thought was the best substrate. Combination of crushed coral and sand? What kind of sand would you recommend? I read something about Southdown...I don't know. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

How big is the fuge going to be? I would recommend going with LS JMHO. That or a combinations of both CC and LS but i would lean more towards the LS which will be more beneficial.

The fuge/sump will hold between 30-40 gallons. Dimension will be roughly 48x12x14. The way I designed the tank was the run off from my 72 would drop into a section of the tank that would house bioballs, etc... and then poor down and flow over another divider in the tank which would house the fuge part of the tank. That part would be roughly 30 inches of the tank. On the other end of the fuge part would be another divider that would then drop the water into the return section of the tank. The return pump and protein skimmer would pump water from that section and either return it into the main tank(72 gallon) and the skimmer, back to the beginning of the sump/fuge ansd cycle all over again.

How does everything sound?

Back
Top Bottom