Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
Refugium suggestions please

Hi im looking to buy a refugium. Im looking for one built that comes with everything. I want to place it on a stand next to show tank. Im looking for suggestions on brands and ho sells them???

Thanks Dewey

Old 11-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well...I have this one, but I'm not really sure it's anything like what you want and it's kinda pricey.
http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com/SL-30%20Ecosump.htm
Since you're going to have it on a stand next to the show tank, I think the easiest route would be to buy another aquarium and have it drilled to your specs. Ideally, the fuge will be higher than the main tank so water can be pumped into it and drain back into the main tank. You could light it with a PC fixture...actually, you could make it look really nice with a bit of planning. JMHO.

I'm thinking what you're going to find, with most of the prefab fuges, is that they are either HOB or designed to go underneath the main tank.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

refugium

Logan Heres a really nice one. I was wondering how good the skimmer in this one works. I might have to replace my sump with one of these.
Dewey

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pCatId=10667
Old 11-16-2003, 01:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

cpr makes a nice one buy i wouldnt pay as much as they want for it. There's a lot of fuges on ebay that are CPR-ish for a good price 12" 18" and 24" i think. They are no brainers to diy but hey, im the diy d00d
Old 11-16-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

That is certainly expensive 8O 8O . OK, I doubt the skimmer that comes with it is anything to get excited about. Probably a single pass venturi type...similar to a Seaclone only less efficient. I think you could DIY one for a fraction of the cost of that thing and have a nicer looking setup. Instead of replacing your sump, possibly you could convert it? I kinda like the idea of a "show" fuge beside the main tank though.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

refugium

Logan ive been in contact with one of the guys on e-bay . Hes going to build me one. Pretty darn cheap Around $100.00 with return pump and light. Hes going to build it to put next to my show tank..

Thanks Dewey
Old 11-16-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Love to see pics of that when you get it.

Tags
refugium, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com