refugium vs. ecosystem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
this may sound like a stupid question but what is the diffence between an ecosystem filter and a refugium. to me they look the same. the ones that i am looking at are like the cpr hang on refugium and the ecosystem hang on. i know the ecosystem uses miricle mud and not just sand but other than that whats the difference? :?:

Greetings.

To me they look almost the same as they do to you. From what a friend told me is that you make less water changes and it makes your tank more stable. The mud is supposed to do certain things which I don't remember right now.

To me IMHO they have the same purpose, except that one uses the expensive mud and the other is more of a DIY project which in turn is much less expensive.

Anyone care to share some info on this matter? TIA

I think one of the most important functions a refugium performs is to grow macro algae for nutrient export. In that case lighting is critical. Miracle Mud or sand, algae won't grow well without sufficient lighting. I'm talking about 6-10W/gallon. Metal halide or tons of PC is required for maximum algae growth.

my sump/refugium is a 55 gallon, but is only "filled" about halfway. We have 220 watts pc lighting over it. That should be sufficient to grow any macro, shouldnt it?

Back
Top Bottom