Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
refusgium newbie questions

Hey everyone! I will soon have a lot of cool things happenin' to my tank. I am going to recieve upgraded lights for christmas, making a DIY stand to match the hood I made with a friend. Hopefully I will be getting more base rock. Plus I will be getting a ton of new snails and some other tank janitors. As I looked at my tank I realized that I could try to sell my custom made lights that I currently have on it, but as I looked around... it then it hit me, I have more than enough stuff to make a perfectly spectacular 29G freshwater plant aquarium or a refugium. I even have a made hood (looks great) that I bought from a friend long ago and my custom made lights are two 65 watt 6500K PC's.
But I came to this conclusion... I could either try to sell this entire set up as a freshwater planted aquarium (I even have a bag of flourite, CO2 stuff, etc), or make a refugium for my 45G tank. I wouldn't be able to use the made hood (guess I could try to sell it), but I have the lights, the tank, gravel (if sand is needed I could just go get some), a rio 1400 pump (I know.. not the best but its just laying around), and my dad said he could make an overflow for my tank. Currently in my tank are just corals and I am planning on sticking it that way (i.e. no fish). My tank is being filtered by a filstar XP3 (which has ceramics, filter floss and foam, and GAC). The reason for the GAC is that I do not have a protein skimmer and don't really see the need for one considering my bio load and plus they are super expensive. So... what would you do in this situation.. any suggestions welcomed and thanks!

Old 12-14-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah I also wouldn't know if I should run a refugium AND have the XP3 run on it at the same time... or just sell the XP3 and make a sump/refugium... more suggestions to ponder about.

would I have to add many more plants if I did shoot for a refusgium solo? or would it stay the same.. bahhh! I am so confused and high strung, this is what happens to students and having three finals three days in a row, all of them hard, yay now time to go play with wires!

Old 12-14-2003, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

anyone?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe its too much on a 45G tank? What sorta sucks is that if I do go with both an XP3 and a refugium/sump, that I would have to allocate a auto top-off outside of the tank (maybe hide it in a table being next to the tank). But if I chose one over the other I could probably include the auto top off into the stand sans problem.

Heh now that I think of it, I should just make as big of a sump/refugium as possible so I don't have to worry about auto topping off, maybe just use the float switches to create an emergency turn-off if the overflow clogs, and let the XP3 keep filtering while I'm away...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com