Regular Saltwater tank or saltwater reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so im confused. I want to start a saltwater tank but i dont know exactly how to do that. should i do just a regular saltwater tank or a reef tank? is there a difference? if i do a reef tank what kind of fish and invertebrates should i put in there? and how many? for a reef tank how big should it be? -Thanks.:fish2:

clownfish18 said:
Okay, so im confused. I want to start a saltwater tank but i dont know exactly how to do that. should i do just a regular saltwater tank or a reef tank? is there a difference? if i do a reef tank what kind of fish and invertebrates should i put in there? and how many? for a reef tank how big should it be? -Thanks.:fish2:

A reef tank will contain coral, inverts, and fish along with live rock. A FOWLR is a fish only with live rock. These are the 2 most common types of saltwater tanks.

A reef tank generally will require better water quality (filtration), lighting, and care when compared a fowlr. Also reef tanks generally become quite expensive.

Fowlr's require minimal lighting, more forgiving when it comes to water quality, and require less attention, testing, and most importantly money.

So the choice is yours which way you wanna go.

If you choose a reef tank only inverts, fish etc that are 'reef safe' can usually be added, as many fish/inverts pick on corals or other inverts. Also the number of fish inverts you can reasonably have in one tank depends almost entirely on size of the tank.

When it comes to any fish tank the larger the tank the better. The larger the water volume more stable water parameters become and your choices as far as fish become much more open.

To decide your setup and size you first need to determine what you want to keep (species of fish or/and corals) and also determine your must have fish as tank size generally revolves around these choices.

Back
Top Bottom