Relocating a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halcyon_Diver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
im new to this site(just found it actually!)and glad i did, Im going to be purchasing an established 120 gallon tank w/ a 35 gallon sump/fuge, its a complete package including several fish, inverts, lr and ls. I want to make this move as stressless as possible for the inhabitants and myself...lol, i will have fresh ro/di water at my home but plan on taking as much with me as possible from the existing tank..what are the best ways for transporting the fish...corals...should i use an air stone...o2 tablets...i plan on keeping the ls in the tank (80 lbs) with it covered in water...the live rock (120lbs) in a rubbermaid container in water.. do i need to acclimate the fish once im ready to put them back into the tank if the water parameters are the same? will i have a cycle?im approx 2 hrs away from the tank but figure the new tank wouldnt be set up for at least 10 hrs. Any help will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance

thanks surjer..i did read that thread as well but have some additional concerns aswell....thanks for the reply!

You will be better off getting new sand as it has some really nasty stuff hidden in it and will foul yout tank up. Sand is cheap and you can seed your new sand with a cup or two from the old sand. Just place your fish in buckets of water from the original tank and Live rock in coolers or rubbermaid tubs. This is what I did. When you get most of the water out and you are ready to clean the tank. Stir up the sand to see what it really is like and you`ll be glad you did not reuse it. JMO and IME

thanks for your reply melosu58...can i still use a couple of pounds from the tank to seed the new sand...and what are my options so far as sand types? Agronite? i m going to need anout 150 lbs for a 2in sandbed and was wndering if i could mix the agronite with some other types of sand..i know i need to make sure the sand has no silicates. Do you think the fish and inverts will be ok with powerheads running while i reassemble the equipment? should i use an air stone or those o2 tablets during transpoting them? Thanks a lot for your help...i just want to make sure i do it right!!!

Yes you`d be able to seed with a couple cups to seed but not any more. Aragonite is better because it will help buffer the tank but you can go with another sand if you want. It`s up to you. As long as you have something breaking the surface it will aerate whatever they are in. Whatever you do it is going to stress everyone out including yourself but the sooner you get it done and everyone back in the tank the better. Just do what you have to do and do it. Good Luck and if you have anymore questions Ask.

I do not think an airstone will be necessary, I would however transport as much of the water from the existing tank as you can transport. This will prevent any huge changes in the water chemistry and allow it to be more of a 50% water change than anything else.

If you do not own enough buckets, there are plastic storage containers at say Walmart that you could use and then have a use for them afterwards as storage containers. Do not fill them more than your comfortable carrying....some have used new trash cans for the same. Just be sure to rinse out whatever you use to transport the water, corals and fish could also be transported in these containers safely as they come with lids.

you should remove all the water and sand and ls before you move the tank its not good on the tank seals to carry it with water in it or anything else and 80lb is a good amont of wieght could cause leaks cause its only a silicon seal that holds the glass together keep that in mind.

Halcyon_Diver said:
what are the best ways for transporting the fish...corals...should i use an air stone...o2 tablets
I think a ph would be best with the fish corals and rock or even little fans to keep the pH stable. What and how many fish are we talking?
Halcyon_Diver said:
do i need to acclimate the fish once im ready to put them back into the tank if the water parameters are the same?
If the parameters are the same, if they are a little off I would drip acclimate for maybe 30 mins to an hour, especially the inverts. I just like to be on the safe side.
Halcyon_Diver said:
will i have a cycle?
Maybe, if you stir up some nasties from the sand. If you don't have any die off from your LR and not too many nasties, you should be good. I would make sure I had 1 maybe 2 decent sized PWCs available.
I use this Aragamax Sand http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7321&N=2004+113554 and they don't charge extra for the weight.

Thank you all for your advice...it really is going to come in handy! Roka 64 fish are as follows
1-hippo tang
1-sail fin tang
1- p.j. cardinal
1-clown
1-blue reef chromis ?
the fish are 3 yrs old and look very healthy...altough i think i read some where that the tangs will our grow this size tank..i have already made arrangements with my lfs to take them if that is the case...again..thank you all for your input

Hey guys,
wanted to give you an update since i was here last..i got the tank last sunday and spent the better part of 2 days putting it back together...was a lot easier taking it down...everything is doing well so far..seems like my rodi has been runnning non stop..lol...but al is well..i wanted to thatnk you all for all your advice..it is very much appreciated

heres some pics!

Attachments

• 120g_006rs_617.jpg
    120g_006rs_617.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 120_014rs_666.jpg
    120_014rs_666.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 120g_004_rs_831.jpg
    120g_004_rs_831.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 120g_009rs_906.jpg