Remora skimmer driving me nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrooveControl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to this hobbie. Started the remora skimmer two days ago. Seems to pull nothing for hours, then overflowed my collection jug in no time. What's going on? Any experience with this?

Thanks

The skimmer will take about two weeks to break in like most skimmers.

I have a remora and it pulls some serious gunk out. Just give it some time
:)

Thanks. So do i just keep the cup high to avoid the flooding? Will the guk eventually work its way up the tube?

I would start with it halfway and judge from there. You wont see a difference when you raise or lower the cup for quite a few hours. Mine took about 2 weeks almost to break in. My eshopps skimmer on my 125g took over two weeks to break in. :)

If you have a new tank there also may not be much to skim to begin with. lol

I see lots of little particles in the water, and a film on top. Tank is three weeks with some livestock. Will the skinner clear this stuff out?

The skimmer will remove organics pretty much. what are you using for filtration and what size tank is it? Did you get the remora skimmer box for it?

75g tank. Running the skimmer and carbon in an ehiem canister. Was advised to remove all media from the ehiem. Also have 30lbs live and 30lbs synthetic rock. A pair of silver monos are doing well, as are 3 turbo snails.

With mine I have the skimmer box so it removes the "film" on the water but the filter should be taking care of particulate matter that is floating around. Did you add any filter floss to your filter as that can help polish the water.

Which remora did you get? The maxijet 1200 or the mag 3? cause the MJ1200 is rated and practical up to about 55g and the mag 3 will go up to 125g they say, well anyway thats what they say...lol

I'm so new to this that I don't know what filter floss is.

I have the mj1200 pump that came with the unit. I bought it because acqa C says it does up to 75g, if that's not true, i'll be p-o-ed big time.

Still wondering what caused my flooding. I have the drain fitting and the unit filled my 2litre jug in an hour or so. I'm affraid it will happen again.

If it's filling up that fast I would raise the cup as high as it will go, just be careful of the rubberband thing that holds the cup up, they are known to snap.

What manufacturers claim and the truth are sometimes two very different things. I think you should be fine for now, just see what it pulls when it breaks in and judge fromt here. You can also add a mag3 oump at anytime if the MJ1200 isnt enough.

Filter floss is like white polyester fluff, you can get it at the petstore or even in a craft store. Just make sure it has no flame retardant additives.
here;s some shots of what I use. The filter pad floss is on the left and the bag is the poly fill you can get at the petstore or craft store.

img_1508843_0_19b091e716658d7665fc8bf1921c5e48.jpg

Ok, thanks. I put the o-ring under the drain fitting. Bubbles don't reach the top of tube now. I'll wait and if anything comes up.

Sounds good. As it breaks in you can adjust the cup.

let us know how it works out, I;ve heard a lot of negatives about the remora but I love mine and wanna see if it was just luck on my part getting one that works really well or if its the "other" people who have the bad luck. LOL

Back
Top Bottom