Remove the wheels for my Penguin 330 dual bio-wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Penguin 330 dual bio-wheel filter on the back of my 55gal. I removed the dual bio-wheels about a year ago because I read somewhere that it is a nitrogen-harvesting factory.

Is this true, or do the biowheels do denitrification? Is it better to have the biowheels in or out?

TIA

Oh, and how often should I clean/get new filter media for it (Not the biowheels, but the normal filter media).

I wouldn't leave the biowheels on. They can trap deterius that will lead to the buildup of nitrates. If I had a HOB filter, I would run some carbon twice a month, and leave LR rubble in there for added circulation.

the biowheels create a grat place for aerobic bacteria to thrive. This is why they are helpful in removing NO2. The bacteria that removes NO3 needs an anerobic enviornment to grow. this is why they do not do a great job at removing NO3. Just leave them off. As Rob mentioned, use the filter as a place ot run chemical filtration like GAC or Chemi-Pure. LR rubble in the filter will also aid in the romoval of NO3 if it is covered completely in water.

lando said:
create a grat place; ot run chemical filtration; the romoval of NO3

LOL... lando... you should be ashamed of yourself. :lol: Many website programmers worked countless nights for mere peanuts just to make the "SpellCheck" option work on our beautiful forum here.

(j/k :wink: )

Thanks for the help. What about my question number two on replacing or cleaning the other filter media? Should I rinse them out in my used saltwater after doing water changes?

If you put LR rubble in there you should not need to do anything. YOu should replace the GAC or other mechanical filters as needed.

Back
Top Bottom