Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
repeated mistakes last night

In my first night doing actual testing of my cycling tank, I managed to

1) flush the ammonia sensor down the garbage disposal

2) use about 1/3 of my nitrate test when I misread the directions. it said it should be blue first and by adding drops change to yellow. I was waiting for it to change to BLUE, as it got more and more yellow.

3) bought a live rock and 1lb of live sand to seed my hirocks and "dry" sand... and though the rock is purple, I've yet to see any "life" on it. guess I'm going shopping again today.

DOH!

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1 may not be a bad thing, 2 we have all done that. , and 3 you may not see "life" on the rock, If it was in his tank and is covered in purple coraline algae then it is "live". If you want the "critters" then you'll have to order some lr off liverocks.com . Thay have the best.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Well, today is another day. We have all had those kind of days.
Just because you don't see life on the rock doesn't mean its not there. Most of the life we seek for our system is too small to see without a microscope, it's the beneficial bacteria that is needed. Hitchhikers are just a added bonus (or curse depending on what you get).
It may take a couple day for any critters to come out of hiding.
Don't fret, you are on your way.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mostly I want to get some sand shifting infauna going. I'm worried that my 3" sand bed will be problematic if there aren't things moving around in it. Also, I can't have pods if I don't have any to breed!

At least I have more sensors and 2/3 of my nitrite kit ...

and on other good news, all my tests came out spot-on after my cocktail shrimp cycle
ph 8.1
amm 0
ite 0
ate 0
alk 2 (actually I have no idea if this is OK)

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I have had my live Rock for several months, and I am still finding new critters crawling out of it for the first time. If your rock is purple, that is a very good thing. Most of the "live" rock around here is dead, brown, and ugly. (and for some strange reason, still way overpriced!)
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

IMHO, I'd opt for a ammonia testing kit as opposed to the sensors. Don't they just alert when it goes up to a certain point? I'd think you want to see any progressions or regressions too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I would not be in a hurry to add "life" to the tank if it is still cycling. People add uncured LR to their tanks to start the cycle. If you get an ammonia spike, which you will, you will kill off some of that life.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Clarifications:

this is the sensor thing from a seachem marine Basic test kit. I do have one of the "alert" things too, but I was referring to the seachem one

I did a fishless cocktail shrimp cycle on the tank, and after 3 weeks the amm, ite and ate are virtually undetectable

I'm looking for CURED LR ideally.. if I add any uncured it will only be a small amount. Either way I'll be waiting at least 2 more weeks before any fish I get (have none yet) make it out of QT.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cycled my QT with a 5-lb LR and like you, I thought it was a bust for about a month. But then . . . stuff starting showing up! Sponges, mini-feather dusters, weird little filter-feeding things--and now I have crawlies! (I assume "pods," for lack of a more specific ID. Teeny white crawling things.) I dug out a photo loupe and am amazed at the stuff that came out of my boring ol' rock! So hang in there--it will start to show up.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ever drop your wedding band into a 75G tank full of LR, coral, fish, etc? Thats a long, bad day of gone fishin'.

Tags
eat, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com