Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Replaceing CC with LS

I want to replace the CC in my tank with LS! I have 3 damsels, 2 tangs & 1 trigger in a 55 gal tank. What is the best way to do this. I dont have a QT yet. What brand or type should I buy, and how much?[/code]

Old 09-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used a giant net and scooped it out.
Worked for me.

Good luck

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I did it I vacuumed out the cc, shoved it all to one side and took out about half. placed the sand in the tank and waited for 2 weeks (I think), and then took the rest out.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you guys for the advice ! I put in LS today(about half the tank 3 in. high) without any problems, some cloudyness but slowly clearing up. thank you much!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #5

I would not suggest removing the coral ,you will disrupt your tank, also even with the live sand chances are your tank will go into a full cycle
I upgraded from a 55 gal to a 125 gal, I used all the LS from my 55 plus some additional LS
No one advised me that my tank would go into a full cycle ,I even used the filters from the 55 plus a new one jsut to keep things going, turns out anytime you disrupt your tank ,even if you transfer contents from one to another you will loose most of the bacteria and go into a cycle ,took almost a month for my tank to cycle, readings were so bad I thought I was going to loose my fish, I did everything from water changes to chemicals and nothing really helped except this product called stability by seachem
but to be honest I don't think I would ever go threw that again, do your self a favor and just add the sand over the coral, if you don't want to see the coral from the front view of tank move it back a bit and add sand to hid it
Old 09-11-2004, 01:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah ,actually I only had 2" worth of CC,so I just moved the CC to one side of the tank and added 20 pounds of LS to the other side which got me the 3". got lucky, I didnt have enuf $ to buy another 20 lbs bag at the time or I would have taken out the CC! thanx Exvisor!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com