Replaceing CC with LS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to replace the CC in my tank with LS! I have 3 damsels, 2 tangs & 1 trigger in a 55 gal tank. What is the best way to do this. I dont have a QT yet. What brand or type should I buy, and how much?[/code]

When I did it I vacuumed out the cc, shoved it all to one side and took out about half. placed the sand in the tank and waited for 2 weeks (I think), and then took the rest out.

Thank you guys for the advice ! I put in LS today(about half the tank 3 in. high) without any problems, some cloudyness but slowly clearing up. thank you much!

I would not suggest removing the coral ,you will disrupt your tank, also even with the live sand chances are your tank will go into a full cycle
I upgraded from a 55 gal to a 125 gal, I used all the LS from my 55 plus some additional LS
No one advised me that my tank would go into a full cycle ,I even used the filters from the 55 plus a new one jsut to keep things going, turns out anytime you disrupt your tank ,even if you transfer contents from one to another you will loose most of the bacteria and go into a cycle ,took almost a month for my tank to cycle, readings were so bad I thought I was going to loose my fish, I did everything from water changes to chemicals and nothing really helped except this product called stability by seachem
but to be honest I don't think I would ever go threw that again, do your self a favor and just add the sand over the coral, if you don't want to see the coral from the front view of tank move it back a bit and add sand to hid it

Yeah ,actually I only had 2" worth of CC,so I just moved the CC to one side of the tank and added 20 pounds of LS to the other side which got me the 3". got lucky, I didnt have enuf $ to buy another 20 lbs bag at the time or I would have taken out the CC! thanx Exvisor!

Back
Top Bottom