Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
research b4 starting/needing some advice

Ok. I'm gonna try to stsrt a marine tank in tje near future. I've got an ac 110 that I'm thinking about converting into a fuge with an ac 50 or 70 impeller. Thinking about an octopus hob skimmer, a dsb, and I have a major need for input about converting a 405. Let me describe the potential conversion on said 405. If I do it, I'm going to replace the foam prefilter with loosely packed busted up lr, cut the center separator out of the bottom tray, cut out the bottoms and centers of the upper 3 trays and fill with loosely packed busted up lr. Lr busted to sizes between marble and golf ball sized pieces. Would this be a good way to get some extra bio filtration-in addition to the dsb and live rock in the tank- or would the lack of light just kill any good bacteria on the lr in the fluval? I can stuff the carbon bags on the 55/75 for chemical filteration or even get another 110. Any input would be appreciated. And I have to say that I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I'm new at this type of stuff.
ole scratch is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com