Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
I've been looking into getting a RO/DI unit to cut back my Walmart trips. I was doing a little bit of math and I'm not sure if it's a good investment to buy a personal one.

At my Walmart, I can get RO water @ $.0.35 a gal. For my normal water change of 10-15 gal and my top off water I need approx 20 gals every two weeks and it only runs me about $7.00.

The RO units I'm looking at on the sponsored site and Dr.Fosters are in the $120.00-$250.00 price range and after I factor in replacement cartridges I'm looking at the initial cost plus an extra $25.00-$50.00 every 6-9 months.

So my totals for the first year would be $84.00 from Walmart and $170.00-$300.00 for the RO/DI unit. After the first year the cost of my RO/DI unit will still be $50.00 - $100.00 with Walmart staying at only $84.00 (providing they don't bump the price up)

My question is, is the difference in overall price really worth it? I realize the personal filters have a slightly higher filtration rating but I just don't know if it's really worth it.

check yer math. $7X26=$182 yearly. + time and effort vs. water bill.

I have TDS metered my water from the store RO and two different machines came in at 12. this water is not DI as you wouldnt drink DI and 12 is ok for drinking but not optimal for reef.

cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Just to chime in here, I have the Typhoon III from airwaterice.com I replace the carbon filters annually, the sedment filter and DI resin quarterly (or as needed) and I just replaced my 5 year old membrane. A TDS meter is a must.

I prefer the clear cannisters or at least a clear cannister for the sediment filter so you visually see when it needs to be replaced. AWI reccomends a 10 micron seidment filter, followed by a 5 micron carbon, followed by a 1 micron carbon before the membrane. I also have the color changing DI resiin but only change it when I see TDS above 0.

Also, the 100 gpd membrane only has a 90% reject rate while the 75 and 150 gpd membranes are higher.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com