Researching SW Hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RambleOn1313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.

I'm currently researching getting my first tank.
I'm thinking to start, 80 gal, FOWLR. Glass tank with overflow...
Any recommendations on equipment would be welcome.

I'm getting different opinions from my LFS's so I'm posing the questions to you:

1. If I eventually want to have a reef system, is it better to start with a FOWLR tank, get used to taking care of that, and then getting another tank for a reef system, or can you convert the first tank easily?

2. Differing opinions on Wet Dry filtration. Two places say "oh, too much maintenance, Just protein skimmer and Live rock will be fine" Another place said, "Wet Dry with Live Rock is no work at all. Very simple."

I'm still reading and doing research, have the books, but I really like reading this site. Lot's of great info.

Thanks in advance.

You can convert from FOWLR to a reef setup with improvements to lighting (provided your filtration is good)

I think the popular opinion these days is a sand bed of questionable depth, LOTS of Live Rock and lots of water movement. If you have that, the wet/dry isn't needed. It will certainly do for fish only.

FOWLR to reef is my plan too. I'm starting with the lighting though, since I'm building a canopy.
live rock is the way to go for so many reasons...which you're sure to learn about as you read up and browse these forums.

wet/dry's are good filters, but they require quite a bit of maintenance. Without regular cleaning your nitrates will be very high. They also don't do much for anaerobic bacteria that complete the nitrogen cycle. DSB is IMO the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom