Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Resiliconing. Is it worth it?

So I found a 300 gallon tank but the silicone was removed. Does anyone have experience with building or repairing tanks? The price has me drooling but I'm worried that I may end up with 5 sheets of nice glass rather than an aquarium. How difficult is it to redo the seals? Is it worth it?

Rbuck143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hate it's extremely tedious and it has to be perfect, but it can be done. I tried it twice and couldn't get it perfect so I just payed an lfs to do it for me haha

abrinn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
The hardest part is getting ALL of the old silicone off after that it's easy lay a bead down then use the tip of a plastic spoon to smooth it.Cut the tip of the tube at a slight angle it helps You'll want about 3/8 in bead For practice use a cheap tube of bath silicone and a few pieces of cardboard set at a 90 degree angle (L) Once you've run a few feet you'll get the knack + side is you know the seals are good for the next 20 or so years.
Most people create their own problems by not following the basics and refusing to stock appropriate to their system. Gregcoyote 2013

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
you also might want to tape the seams so that you get an even line and don't have silicone all over the place. Also make sure you use 100% silicone with no additives such as mold inhibitors
tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
It's not really difficult, but it is tedious to do correctly..... With a large, expensive tank like a 300, I think it'd be well worth the effort. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the subject, and I'd recommend practicing on a small, inexpensive tank first...... pick up a cheapo leaker off of craigslist or if you've got a 10g laying around.
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com