Restarting 50g reef tank - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I forgot exactly why but about 5 years ago everything in my reef tank died and I stopped maintaining it. I have since emptied out the tank and now wish to restart a reef aquarium.

My tank has a built in stand and is hexagon shaped. Here is an image roughly similar to the shape of my tank: http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/42600/42606/irreghex_42606_lg.gif

The back of the tank measures approximately 48" and it is around 24" is in height. Due to the unusual shape I'm not sure exactly how many gallons the tank holds but I believe it to be about 50 gallons give or take a few. There are four built in powerheads and an overflow compartment which connects to a compartment in the stand intended to house the filter. The opening in the front of the stand for me to access the filter is only 16" wide and 18" tall. The tank is located in the family room and I don't have external space for a sump. I plan on purchasing live sand + 100lbs of live rock.

What should I do to prepare/clean/sanitize the tank before filling it up again?

I want to buy a new filter. Is Wet/Dry still the best type of filter system for reef tanks? If so, what model would you recommend?

From my initial research, it seems like an RO/DI filter is important so I am going to need one of these as well. What model is the best bang for my buck?
Is there a brand/type of salt that is preferable or are they all essentially the same?

Are there any other changes over the past decade I should be aware of when preparing the new tank or do you have any specific tips that would help me along?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I use this ro/di unit because its portable and cheap lol
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

As far as filtration the rage right now is refugiums. It's been said countless times everywhere that a wet/dry isnt the best option for a reef tank due to nitrates being produced in there. I currently run a sump with refugium on my 125g reef and will be using a wet/dry for my fish only 90g, once I get it all set up that is. lol

here is the sump/refugium that I went with as an example.
Eshopps Refugium R-200,125-225 gal, 2nd Generation - AquaCave

Also, here are some good articles to get you started in the right direction

Refugiums,fuges or refuge
Berlin method of filtration
Protein skimming - is it right for you?
Sumps Explained

Hope that all was some help!

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom