rethinking anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetshannon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had my heart set on an anemone and a clown once I get my tank set up. But after lots of reading (LOVE this site....), I found this website. Does anyone have experience with this coral or vendor?

SARCOPHYTONS AS A CLOWNFISH HOST

I know my fish may not host, but I also really like the looks!

Its not really a coral, its considered an invertebrate. They are pretty cool inverts, and yeah its not guaranteed that a clown or any other fish will host it, but you could always give it a shot. I've heard some bad stories though about nems getting stuck in filters and then messing up the tank.. so idk. If you have good lighting all around, for it, then i dont think it will try and move anywhere, thus it wont move near a filter and get torn up. But idk, you could always just try your luck with it. My only suggestions is make sure you have the best lighting you can possibly get. And then some.

Np, but dont let all that stop you from getting what you like. I know that there are tons of marine aquarists out there with nems. And im sure alot of them are hosting clowns. We just dont want to get anyones hopes up by saying the fish will always host it, because it wont lol. I myself really want a Heteractis anemone, but im not sure its worth the risks that involve keeping the nem in the aquarium. But who knows, i might just try my luck lol. Good luck and i hope you find what your looking for!

I am so new to saltwater, and would hate to buy an anemone and not take care of it properly. And it would be a LONG time until my tank is established enough, too.

Same here, my tank is still cycling. But its nice to understand, research and prepare for the things you possibly may want in your tank. Then when the time comes that you are able to choose whether you want it or not, you will have what it takes to choose the decision to the best of your knowledge. Hey, if you know that at some point you want an anemone, or a sea urchin or sea star etc.. then do the research now and use other peoples experiences to make your decisions. Its the best way to learn and to understand. We only learn from our mistakes. I forget who said it, but i love it and it sortof goes along with this anemone hosting thing lol.

" Just because something doesnt do what you planned it to do in the first place, doesnt mean its useless."

You should not have an anenome in your tank until you have a mature tank of 6-9 months. Earlier than that and you`ll have unstable water parameters and the anenome will be very stressed.

Just because something does what you planned it to do in the first place doesn't mean it's useful.

...is a fish tank truly useful? We harvest out of the ocean.. and keep it in our home... planned or not.. your removing from something and keeping it somewhere its useless. =/

just get one that is already bonded to a nem when you are ready. My LFS keeps some clowns and nems together. you just by the BTA and the clown that are paired. once they are together they stay that way.

If you don't want to get the nem a mated pair of clowns is pretty cool to. mine host in a long dead torch coral.

I would love to find a mated pair hosting in a nem but that is VERY rare. they both must like the same nem.

Back
Top Bottom