Rethinking my filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 16g bowfront aquarium that is setup as a FOWLR tank right now. I have a fluval 205 canister running on it right now. I have recently been reading that canister can become nitrate factories. I don't exactly understand why this is. Is it because debris builds up on the sponges and rots? I have heard it is fine to run a canister if you clean it out very regularly(which is not something I wish to do as I have quite a few tanks I have to maintain as it is)

I am thinking of switching to an aquaclear 30 instead as it will be much easier to maintain. It should be able to cycle my water roughly 9 times per hour. I am curious as to what media I should be running. I don't run a skimmer on this tank and do weekly 5 gallon water changes but my nitrates still seem to be in the 20ppm range every week. Any insight as to what I can do to make this system more efficient and easier to deal with will be greatly appreciated.

My current setup is: 20lbs of live rock
1 False percula
1 Firefish Goby
1 Scooter Blenny

Well a filter traps particals in the water hence the expression 'nitrate factory'. If you dont maintain the filter it will continue to trap more and more waste until it cant hold it all in. Most marine enthusiasts will eventually scrap the filter idea.

I'm currently running a 50G with no filter or skimmer. I just have a load of live rock which is the most beneficial filtration in a marine aquarium. However a skimmer would be rated up there in the top most needed things for a marine aquarium as this traps and 'Removes' waste. I'm currently looking at a new skimmer as i think they are also essential in a successful marine aquarium.

Water changes will also be vital in your setup to help keep your nitrates down.

Back
Top Bottom