Return line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
The return line for my sump..i just realized this may be bad for the pump to push the water up am i right or wrong...is a vertical return line okay?

It's called head pressure and most sumps have it. Most sumps return up the back of the tank. The only thing to take into account is that for every foot of height, you lose some of your gallons per hourof pressure from the pump. I don't know the formula to figure head pressure loss but if yours works then I wouldn't worry about it. It is fine for vertical line return.

Reference the pump manufacturer for the affects of head pressure on your particular pump. Each pump will handle the head pressure differently and have its own max head height before the pump cuts off or just doent push water any more effectivly.

since my return line is vertical, do you suggest the mag9.5 instead of the mag7??

How high is your head? What is the capacity of your overflow in GPH? Both of those will be factors in determining your sump's pump size.

I have a 4 foot head height..and ill look up the compacity of my overflow in gph.. i need to go on the site though because I ordered it and havent received it yet...

this is the overflow box...its from aquacrylics.com I cant find out the gph on the website...maybe some one can tell me by experience...this set is the 75 gal. sump setup..

Attachments

• overflow_169.jpg
    overflow_169.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 84
If you can try to get some reef rubble from your lfs, you can scratch the bio balls. This will save you grief down the road. You can even buy reef rubble for pretty cheap. I took the bio balls out of mine and replaced with reef rock. Since then, I have not had a problem with Nitrates at all.
Lando can vouch for this method as well.

Mike

Mine came with the system. I threw them out though..I just mainly wanted the sump part for the equipment and reef rubble. You can order it at any online location, or maybe your lfs. As Morticus mentioned, make sure the reef rubble is completely submerged. This method works differently than the bio balls.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to use the bio balls and change your mind later to reef rock, you will need to remove them slowly.

Mike

Because over time, the bio balls accumulate necessary bacterial colonies for the survival of marine life. If these colonies are removed quickly, then it could jeapordize your tank. If you don't have fish in there now, it's not a big deal. If you leave the bio balls in and decide later to remove them, then you need to do it slowly so the bacterial colonies can catch up.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom