Return line woes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, helping a freind design a reef tank. I am also wanting to know as well, since I might be upgrading sometime myself. Me and him both really like the idea of the SCWD (it changes the direction of water, from one input, into 2 tubes and alternates between them both) the only problem is, how do we get the return lines back into the tank. On my tank right now, I pretty much just have the return sitting on the lip, tied to my plastic hood. I hate! this. when I want to work on the tank, I have to turn off the pump, and i cant remove the hood all the way. I keep seeing these black tube things, that look segmented or whatever. How do they go onto a tank? I want something that can run, not tied down, unless its to the tank, or back wall. any ideas? Also, could I drill two holes in the tank, put a bulk head, and have nothing internal, just a hole? That would really be best for .

I use 7/8" outside diameter--5/8" inside diameter clear tubing from HD. It fits right over my PH output and seems to be the perfect diameter to maintain optimal flow from my PH, an Azoo 2500, at 640 gph. On the same ilse as the tubing, at my store anyway, they have some gray plastic barb connectors for the tubing. I got 3/4" L joints and 1 3/4" T joint.

This is a crappy picture, but you can get the idea. I'll try to get some real pics. I drilled a hole about 1/2" above the T for a siphon break.
From the second L to the top L is abbreviated because of hasty work.

the device your talk about needs a VERY high output pump to run properly. I have seen people talk about how the output from the pump was cut by up to 20% becase of the internal friction the device has.

When plumbing your lines use PVC as much as possible and only use those push on fittings when your converting from soft plastic tube to hard PVC.

http://www.vafishfreek.com/gallery/Sump_Photos

See above photos on how my return lines are plumbed. they use 1" PVC because my pump has 1" outlet.

So I should use a mag 9.5 as the return?

I dont see how you go from soft tube, to hard tube

well you never said how big this tank is. depending on the head height 1 mag pump might be enough or not enough.

look at my photos i have some flex tubing on my return line

there is that push on adaptor you push into the flex tube and then ues pvc glue to glue it to a pvc pipe

There is a fitting that goes on the end of your pvc with a female screw. Then you get a barb fitting with a male screw. Twist together and you have successfully converted from pvc to flex line.

Back
Top Bottom