Return pump/overflow questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
Ok, so before I get everything up and running with my 55 gal there are some def upgrades that I need to make. One of which is my return pump. I'm running a crappy Rio w/ 500 gph.

This is my overflow box. Amazon.com: CPR Aquatics CS50 Siphon Overflow: Pet Supplies
It is rated at 300 gph.

My question is, how much stronger of a pump could/should I use? Right now with the Rio, most of the waterflow from the tank is being supplied by the aqualifter...it is far from a "waterfall" of water. More like a slow trickle.

I am also ordering a Dual BRS Reactor with MJ1200 Pump. I have no clue how I am going to get all of this stuff together at this time... I am a plumbing retard. To demonstrate what I think it should look like, I have utilized the technological magic of MS Paint. Enjoy.

There's a calculator on reef central that calculates head height. I'd look at something like a mag 5, which would probably put you about where you want to be with flow at head height. Also plan on putting a ball valve above the pump so that you can always control how much low there is.

Yeah, I was looking at the mag 5 and it appears to work out in the calculator. Think it will be ok with the dual reactor plumbed directly into everything?

I would get a 7 and run a tee off of it with a ball valve on each side of the tee... run the reactor separately, so that you can tune the flow but not restrict the turnover rate of the tank

I'm running a danner mag 7 on my 55 with no restrictions now wish I had went with. An 8 it would be more flow at the far end which I had to run additional powerhead to make sure there were no dead flow zones

I'm not worried about flow in my tank. I have 2 750s, a 1250, and a 550. I'll figure out the right amount for in the tank when it is done cycling, until then the larger will keep the water moving and the other 3 will stay in my 36.

Back
Top Bottom