Return pump recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwsharksfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I built a sump out of a 20 gallon tall on a 92 gallon display tank with an 800 gph HOB overflow box. Was wondering if a 500 gph Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pump - Model 5 https://www.bigalspets.com/supreme-mag-drive-utility-pumps.html?sku=16604 would be a good choice for a return pump. Also wanted advice on whether I should add sand and live rock with algae to filter or if I should just load it up with bio balls.

Thanks.

You could do bio balls on one end, but a couple of live rock with a deep sand bed (5"-6") deep for bio filtration and a skimmer would do perfect.

I have 2 tidal 110 hob filters and a hob skimmer on my 125 gallon tank and it does perfect

I would avoid bio balls at all costs , they pretty much make a nitrate trap and a big pain

You need a return pump that has a higher GPH than the overflow. That way you can put a ball valve after the return pump and dial it back to match the overflow perfectly. That overflow doesn't come close to matching the return pump and the return pump will be overwhelmed.

id agree with the guys 100 percent,.... toss out the balls and get a MUCH larger return pump and throttle it down via a ball valve ( always a good idea to put in a anti backflow valve too )

That still isn't giving you more GPH than your overflow. The mag drive 9.5...I believe is the step up you'd need to get the GPH you are looking for that would be able to compensate for headloss and be able to be restricted after the pump without issue. Should be around 900 GPH.

Its rated 1350 gph. With a 4.5 ft head height and a right angle its at 850. Its my understanding that you would want the return pump to be at or a little below the capacity of the overflow so you don't drain the sump and overflow the DT. I would like to get a pump that I don't have to dial back much so I don't tax it any more than I need to.

Sorry. Link defaults to the 3000 model but there is a pull down to select the 5000 model which is what I was looking at.

Back
Top Bottom