Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use the HOB overflows as your only overflows. I wouldn't listen to him anymore, sounds like someone that has no idea what they are talking about to me. I buy the pumps and powerheads seperately so you can buy what you want. I would use the HOB overflow instead of the canister to move water from tank to sump. The HOB over flows drain WAY more water than a canister will be able to move. You can hook the cannister up to the sump, intake and return are located in the sump, in case you need to run carbon. Hope this helps.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so I made some inqueries and it will cost me about the same to purchase a HOB overflow as it would to drill the tank. Well, it's a bit cheaper to drill the tank, but I have to factor in the hassle of finding a way to bring it to the glass shop (which is about a 40min drive away). The tank won't fit in my car and I don't have a trailer, so I would need to organize that too.

I'm going to purchase an Eschopps 1200 overflow box (waaay more than I need but I would rather have as much option on the overflow as possible). I am also looking at an Aquaticlife submersible pump at 750GPH. It's a good 450GPH less than the maximum rating for the overflow, so they should be a good match.

As well, I am going to grab an Aquaticlife MH fixture with two 150W directional bulbs and T5 actinics (it has a built-in timer to control all the lighting - MHs, T5s, LEDs)

For a skimmer I am looking at a Coralife 125 (should be enough for a 90G + 20G sump)...which is good because it will *just* fit under the cabinet.

Can anyone make a recommendation for salt mixtures? I'm thinking of InstantOcean, but there may be better ones out there.

Once those arrive and I have the tank cleaned, salt mixed, and water in the tank I can start the system and then worry about powerheads and Live rock to help cycle the tank.

Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
i have always used instant ocean its a great salt from a great brand name

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com