Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Reverse Osmosis vs. Tap Water (?)

I've started my salt water aquarium with tap water and some live rocks. I am cycling it for 2 months. How important are water changes (adding water should be fine)? But others seem to think that water without nutrients is better to keep algae down... which is better? Will the less desirable algae overgrow the coraline since it is more prevalent? I'm running about 165 watts of lighting for a 110 gallon tank -- what I could afford for now.

Sorry... is it better to filter the water with a Reverse Osmosis pump?

Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes ro units are alot better than tap no doubt on that !! but so you knows its not a pump you water pressure from the tap is all it uses
also yes algae will take over you coralline !

Old 11-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Tap water can have all sorts of nasty stuff in it that you don't want in your tank. Chlorine, chloramine, pesticides, phosphate, nitrate, ect... An RO/DI unit will remove all this and leave pure water. The effect of some of these is cumulative...water evaporates from the tank leaving all the nasties behind. This is the biggest reason that water changes are recommended. Every time you do a water change, you are diluting the pollution in the tank. Using RO water cuts down on the pollution as well. Keeping nutrient levels down will help with the undesirable algae. And, yes, the bad algae will take over if you let it.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
I'll be away for the next 2 months. Is this too long to wait? I wanted to cycle while I was away.

Tags
osmosis, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com