Rhetorical comments and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whew, were to start.

Q's
I've got some brilliant lime green algea growing on my new brilliant white 60 lbs of base rock. I don't know if this floureces (sp?) under my lights or if it is really that spectacular. It has popped up in the last few days and is very fine looking and not hairy at all. One local guy told me it is a precursor to the dark purple coraline. I dunno but I hope so.

One some of my liverock I've got 5 or 6 of these little creatures growing that look like the end of cotton swabs. (Q-tips). They are about the size of a pencil eraser and appear to have a tiny anenome looking filter feeding mouth. Any ideas?

My sand is really full of detritus. I have clean up cre but they are falling behind. I was thinking of stirring a bit and using my old Diatom filter to vacuum it out. For those not familiar with the diatom they can filter incredibly small particles out of the water.

In addition to the brilliant lime green algea on the rocks I have a signifigant cyano outbreak. I have adjusted the powerheads to blow on the sand but this just stirs more of the detritus.

BTW - water is fine, ro/di, everything is zero except for the nitrates which are hanging in there at 20 ppm. Regular water change and Salinity adjusted back down to 1.024. New TDS test ro/di water at 50 ppm.

Comments/suggestions?

Do you have a cleanup crew yet? Sounds like some snails and hermit crabs will help you out some there.

50 ppm after RO/DI? What kind of filter do you have? That sounds high.

I've got some brilliant lime green algea ..........One local guy told me it is a precursor to the dark purple coraline. I dunno but I hope so.
Sounds right to me.

One some of my liverock I've got 5 or 6 of these little creatures growing that look like the end of cotton swabs. (Q-tips). They are about the size of a pencil eraser and appear to have a tiny anenome looking filter feeding mouth. Any ideas?
Aiptasia? Got a pic?

My sand is really full of detritus. I have clean up cre but they are falling behind. I was thinking of stirring a bit and using my old Diatom filter to vacuum it out. For those not familiar with the diatom they can filter incredibly small particles out of the water.
I would not do it. If you do use the diatom filter I would not stir the sand bed.

In addition to the brilliant lime green algea on the rocks I have a signifigant cyano outbreak.
Just use a siphon hose and vacuum it out. This is not good. I know you have a RO/DI but did you use RO/DI or tap water to fill the tank. Are you adding food?

New TDS test ro/di water at 50 ppm.
8O That is worthless. Filter is not working. Are you leaving the RO waste line open or did you close it? I bet you closed it. :nono: Run some water through it with the waste line open for a while then test the TDS again. RO can not remove the TDS if the waste line is not open. This is prob the cause of the cyano also.

Aiptasia? Got a pic?
Definitley not aptasia. I know what those turds looks like. Forgot to mention, these little guys are a silky bright white color. Aptasia have a purple/brownish color and look quite different. These little guys are shaped like the end of a cotton swab, brilliant white and have a tiny looking filter feeding mouth. They've gotten bigger over the last few weeks. I'll see if I can get a pic soon.

I know you have a RO/DI but did you use RO/DI or tap water to fill the tank. Are you adding food?
I initially filled the tank on Jan 4 2006 with tap water before I purchased the ro/di filter. I have done at least 200 gal of diligent water changes since then. I feed only small amounts of frozen mysis, bloodworms and brine for the 4 tiny fish I have and aonly about every other day.
That is worthless. Filter is not working. Are you leaving the RO waste line open or did you close it? I bet you closed it. Run some water through it with the waste line open for a while then test the TDS again. RO can not remove the TDS if the waste line is not open. This is prob the cause of the cyano also.
Brenden, I swear, my ro/di is a newer design and uses a valve that is NORMALLY CLOSED. I've contacted the manufacturer and dissected the directions. They say to leave the SPECIAL flow restrictor waste closed for normal operation and only open it to backflush the ro membrane once every 2 months or so. My system has a 4 gallon storage tank and when the tank is empty or the water faucet is open then the special waste valve opens due to a pressure decrease. When you are finished using the ro/di water the system re-pressurizes and the waste valve closes. Swear it man. I will say that tests of my ro/di water read ZERO for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and 8.2 PH. I just got my my TDS meter the other day and I suspect it may not be calibrated or even a good quality unit. Further investigation required.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, forgot to add, tested my water last night, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and NITRATES less than 5 PPM and PH 8.2. I reported 20 PPM nitrates in my first post but they have fallen dramatically in the last few days.

Ran the Diatom tonight, the water is incredibly clear after only a few hours. You have to look closely to even tell the tank even has water in it.

Tex said:
Brenden, I swear, my ro/di is a newer design and uses a valve that is NORMALLY CLOSED. I've contacted the manufacturer and dissected the directions. They say to leave the SPECIAL flow restrictor waste closed for normal operation and only open it to backflush the ro membrane once every 2 months or so. My system has a 4 gallon storage tank and when the tank is empty or the water faucet is open then the special waste valve opens due to a pressure decrease. When you are finished using the ro/di water the system re-pressurizes and the waste valve closes. Swear it man. I will say that tests of my ro/di water read ZERO for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and 8.2 PH. I just got my my TDS meter the other day and I suspect it may not be calibrated or even a good quality unit. Further investigation required.
That mostly makes sense, so it doesn't waste water when the membrane isn't running, but it should close the input line instead of the waste line when the pressure goes up. You sure it's assembled properly? It is also possible that this valve is calibrated for a lower tap water pressure than you have, causing the tap pressure to continue to push ions across the membrane when the waste valve is off.

What is the TDS reading of your tap water?

I have the same cotton swab type filter feeders. They almost look like a cross between a sponge and feather duster. Mine have been reproducing like crazy in a darker corner of my 29g tank. I almost am tempted to consider them invasive if they keep their current rate of reproduction up.

I'll try and snap a picture tomorrow.

I used to have a ton of those below. Some say it's just a filter feeding sponge. It looks like an inverted cone with spikes around it and a flowering spike at the apex.

I didnt snap them away or anything. However, I did lower my nitrates down to zero using AZ NO3 and tons of cleanup and I don't see them anymore. Maybe it's because of your nitrates that they are thriving, perhaps?

Finally got a decent pic. It's the little white guy in the center towards the top.

Attachments

• white_filter_feeder_150.jpg
    white_filter_feeder_150.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom