Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas
Posts: 228
Rhetorical comments and questions

Whew, were to start.

Q's
I've got some brilliant lime green algea growing on my new brilliant white 60 lbs of base rock. I don't know if this floureces (sp?) under my lights or if it is really that spectacular. It has popped up in the last few days and is very fine looking and not hairy at all. One local guy told me it is a precursor to the dark purple coraline. I dunno but I hope so.

One some of my liverock I've got 5 or 6 of these little creatures growing that look like the end of cotton swabs. (Q-tips). They are about the size of a pencil eraser and appear to have a tiny anenome looking filter feeding mouth. Any ideas?

My sand is really full of detritus. I have clean up cre but they are falling behind. I was thinking of stirring a bit and using my old Diatom filter to vacuum it out. For those not familiar with the diatom they can filter incredibly small particles out of the water.

In addition to the brilliant lime green algea on the rocks I have a signifigant cyano outbreak. I have adjusted the powerheads to blow on the sand but this just stirs more of the detritus.

BTW - water is fine, ro/di, everything is zero except for the nitrates which are hanging in there at 20 ppm. Regular water change and Salinity adjusted back down to 1.024. New TDS test ro/di water at 50 ppm.

Comments/suggestions?
__________________

__________________
7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Genesee Valley
Posts: 2,616
Do you have a cleanup crew yet? Sounds like some snails and hermit crabs will help you out some there.

50 ppm after RO/DI? What kind of filter do you have? That sounds high.
__________________

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Piedmont, NC
Posts: 4,580
Quote:
I've got some brilliant lime green algea ..........One local guy told me it is a precursor to the dark purple coraline. I dunno but I hope so.
Sounds right to me.


Quote:
One some of my liverock I've got 5 or 6 of these little creatures growing that look like the end of cotton swabs. (Q-tips). They are about the size of a pencil eraser and appear to have a tiny anenome looking filter feeding mouth. Any ideas?
Aiptasia? Got a pic?

Quote:
My sand is really full of detritus. I have clean up cre but they are falling behind. I was thinking of stirring a bit and using my old Diatom filter to vacuum it out. For those not familiar with the diatom they can filter incredibly small particles out of the water.
I would not do it. If you do use the diatom filter I would not stir the sand bed.

Quote:
In addition to the brilliant lime green algea on the rocks I have a signifigant cyano outbreak.
Just use a siphon hose and vacuum it out. This is not good. I know you have a RO/DI but did you use RO/DI or tap water to fill the tank. Are you adding food?

Quote:
New TDS test ro/di water at 50 ppm.
8O That is worthless. Filter is not working. Are you leaving the RO waste line open or did you close it? I bet you closed it. Run some water through it with the waste line open for a while then test the TDS again. RO can not remove the TDS if the waste line is not open. This is prob the cause of the cyano also.
__________________
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas
Posts: 228
Quote:
Aiptasia? Got a pic?
Definitley not aptasia. I know what those turds looks like. Forgot to mention, these little guys are a silky bright white color. Aptasia have a purple/brownish color and look quite different. These little guys are shaped like the end of a cotton swab, brilliant white and have a tiny looking filter feeding mouth. They've gotten bigger over the last few weeks. I'll see if I can get a pic soon.

Quote:
I know you have a RO/DI but did you use RO/DI or tap water to fill the tank. Are you adding food?
I initially filled the tank on Jan 4 2006 with tap water before I purchased the ro/di filter. I have done at least 200 gal of diligent water changes since then. I feed only small amounts of frozen mysis, bloodworms and brine for the 4 tiny fish I have and aonly about every other day.
Quote:
That is worthless. Filter is not working. Are you leaving the RO waste line open or did you close it? I bet you closed it. Run some water through it with the waste line open for a while then test the TDS again. RO can not remove the TDS if the waste line is not open. This is prob the cause of the cyano also.
Brenden, I swear, my ro/di is a newer design and uses a valve that is NORMALLY CLOSED. I've contacted the manufacturer and dissected the directions. They say to leave the SPECIAL flow restrictor waste closed for normal operation and only open it to backflush the ro membrane once every 2 months or so. My system has a 4 gallon storage tank and when the tank is empty or the water faucet is open then the special waste valve opens due to a pressure decrease. When you are finished using the ro/di water the system re-pressurizes and the waste valve closes. Swear it man. I will say that tests of my ro/di water read ZERO for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and 8.2 PH. I just got my my TDS meter the other day and I suspect it may not be calibrated or even a good quality unit. Further investigation required.


EDIT:
Oh yeah, forgot to add, tested my water last night, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and NITRATES less than 5 PPM and PH 8.2. I reported 20 PPM nitrates in my first post but they have fallen dramatically in the last few days.

Ran the Diatom tonight, the water is incredibly clear after only a few hours. You have to look closely to even tell the tank even has water in it.
__________________
7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Genesee Valley
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
Brenden, I swear, my ro/di is a newer design and uses a valve that is NORMALLY CLOSED. I've contacted the manufacturer and dissected the directions. They say to leave the SPECIAL flow restrictor waste closed for normal operation and only open it to backflush the ro membrane once every 2 months or so. My system has a 4 gallon storage tank and when the tank is empty or the water faucet is open then the special waste valve opens due to a pressure decrease. When you are finished using the ro/di water the system re-pressurizes and the waste valve closes. Swear it man. I will say that tests of my ro/di water read ZERO for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and 8.2 PH. I just got my my TDS meter the other day and I suspect it may not be calibrated or even a good quality unit. Further investigation required.
That mostly makes sense, so it doesn't waste water when the membrane isn't running, but it should close the input line instead of the waste line when the pressure goes up. You sure it's assembled properly? It is also possible that this valve is calibrated for a lower tap water pressure than you have, causing the tap pressure to continue to push ions across the membrane when the waste valve is off.

What is the TDS reading of your tap water?
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
I have the same cotton swab type filter feeders. They almost look like a cross between a sponge and feather duster. Mine have been reproducing like crazy in a darker corner of my 29g tank. I almost am tempted to consider them invasive if they keep their current rate of reproduction up.

I'll try and snap a picture tomorrow.
__________________
vowelmovements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montgomery County MD
Posts: 288
I used to have a ton of those below. Some say it's just a filter feeding sponge. It looks like an inverted cone with spikes around it and a flowering spike at the apex.

I didnt snap them away or anything. However, I did lower my nitrates down to zero using AZ NO3 and tons of cleanup and I don't see them anymore. Maybe it's because of your nitrates that they are thriving, perhaps?
__________________
We live and we learn
AMANIQU77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas
Posts: 228
Finally got a decent pic. It's the little white guy in the center towards the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white_filter_feeder_150.jpg (45.1 KB, 18 views)
__________________

__________________
7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anybody ever used this or have comments on it? Snoopybdb General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 03-18-2005 09:29 PM
LR question and comments fishman Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 07-07-2004 10:13 AM
Comments on resealing... gooyferret DIY Projects 1 08-28-2003 10:48 AM
Pendants Any comments ? gooyferret Saltwater Reef Aquaria 14 06-30-2003 09:37 PM
comments for reefgeek.com justDIY Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 06-18-2003 03:23 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.