Rich's 85 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RICH305

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 clowns 2 chromies 1 pepermint shrimp a cuc snails crabs ect. 80 pounds of Live rock 80 pounds of live sand. One torch coral 1 candy coral and one mushroom what should I feed these corals?

Technically, they just need light and the water column. You can supplement with coral food if you wish.

carey said:
Technically, they just need light and the water column. You can supplement with coral food if you wish.

They told me calcium iodine and that's it?

What's the recommended temp for a reef tank lfs told me my water is too warm?

I keep mine at 80..but some ppl keep it a little lower. I think about 74 or 72 is about as low as you should go, not positive on that though. I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.

The highest mines goes to is 80 then at night it lowers to 78

You're fine. You'll find that you may need to search around a little to find a LFS that is giving you good advice and or not just trying to sell you things you don't need. I got lucky with mine, it was the first one I tried but others haven't been so fortunate.

Yea that's why I'm askin you guys lol what can I feed my corals one tole me calcium and iodide amd other one told he something else so now I'm confused! Lol I have like 4 local fish stores around me

They told me calcium iodine and that's it?

As long as you do PWC (partial water changes) you should be good with this. Do not dose the tank with calcium, iodine, or anything really if you don't test for it first to make sure you actually need it.

nxb161 said:
As long as you do PWC (partial water changes) you should be good with this. Do not dose the tank with calcium, iodine, or anything really if you don't test for it first to make sure you actually need it.

I do a 20 percent water change every month

As stated your PWC's will add everything your corals need. Especially in a tank with only a few corals, you'll be fine. The only time you would have to supplement is if your tank was full of corals that are using these elements faster than your doing PWC's. If that's the case you will need test kits to make sure you're at the proper levels. You shouldn't supplement anything you aren't testing for.

RICH305 said:
I do a 20 percent water change every month

Seems like not enough PWC's to me. I do about 15% weekly, even if you miss a week, don't have time, forget ect. Monthly isn't enough IMO.

BallinCrew10 said:
Seems like not enough PWC's to me. I do about 15% weekly, even if you miss a week, don't have time, forget ect. Monthly isn't enough IMO.

I use ocean water for these pwc should that be fine?

BallinCrew10 said:
Do you mean premixed SW sold at your LFS, or water straight from the ocean ?

Water straight from the ocean they sell it for 50¢ a gallon and RO water for 50¢ a gallon also

Water changes are pretty much up different for everyone some so weekly some bi weekly some monthly it really depends on your bio load etc I do mine every 2 weeks

I use ocean water for these pwc should that be fine?

That depends, do you get it straight from the ocean yourself? if so how far out do you go? the closer to the beach, the more polluted its gonna be.

Yea I wouldn't put anything in my tank that I myself collected from the ocean. There's too many variables and unknowns that could quickly wipe out your tank. Though in this case it sounds like premixed SW, which is fine, just a hassle. Personally I would either buy a ro/di unit or but the ro/di water and mix the water yourself. JMO

Back
Top Bottom