Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Attached the acrylic housing tube to the top cap. I was going to use plastic epoxy for this but I didn't feel comfortable with how it sat in between the tube and cap. It didn't seem like the epoxy sat well in the gap. Decided to use silicone for this. Silicone was much easier to "push" into the gaps and crevices. I used GE type 1 clear silicone. (Just and FYI, any silicone without mold resistors is fine. Color of silicone has to affect on the organisms etc). Now waiting a day or so for the silicone to cure. Will do a water test to see how it goes. If everything is fine, I'll epoxy the incoming adapter to the top cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	84772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	84773  

Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
I believe you need 2 plates as well as sponges. Filter floss works great and is what I use.
I'll be testing the reactor without bonding the bottom cap. I'd like to see how well of a fluid motion I can get. If the fluid dispersion isn't too good I may drill small holes around the bottom of the pipe to help move the biopellets around.

I don't plan on using sponges or filter media on the reactor. I'd like to keep maintenance to a minimum. The output of the reactor is being fed directly to my skimmer. The sugar film created as a byproduct will be removed from the system by the skimmer.

Just curious why did you use filter floss on yours? The second bottom plate is to help guide water up along the sides of the reactor; but I believe I can do this without a 2nd plate either by drilling holes as mentioned before or change the water flow into/out of the reactor with the 2 ball gate valves the reactor system will have.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

I'll be testing the reactor without bonding the bottom cap. I'd like to see how well of a fluid motion I can get. If the fluid dispersion isn't too good I may drill small holes around the bottom of the pipe to help move the biopellets around.

I don't plan on using sponges or filter media on the reactor. I'd like to keep maintenance to a minimum. The output of the reactor is being fed directly to my skimmer. The sugar film created as a byproduct will be removed from the system by the skimmer.

Just curious why did you use filter floss on yours? The second bottom plate is to help guide water up along the sides of the reactor; but I believe I can do this without a 2nd plate either by drilling holes as mentioned before or change the water flow into/out of the reactor with the 2 ball gate valves the reactor system will have.
I used filter floss to prevent media from entering my tank
Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I finished my DIY bipellet reactor. To be honest, it did a fine job...I just wasn't totally satisfied with it.

I've decided to go for a larger cylinder for the reactor. I was using a 3.75" OD acrylic tube. I think I'll be going for a 5 or 6" OD tube. At a foot height, the volume in there will be more than enough for a 300g tank I plan to upgrade to at some point. Also, although silicone worked well to bond the acrylic to the PVC I just wasn't too satisfied with how it may or may not come apart in the future. I'll definitely be using all acrylic + some Weldon #16 on this build. It may increase the price a bit; but well worth it for peace of mind.

To be safe, I'll be going all acrylic on the reactor and using two 1/2" bulkheads for the in & out lines of the reactor.

A few notes so far:

1) A bottom plate is not a must need for the reactor. The biopellets had very good fluidity without a bottom plate to push water in all areas of the reactor.

2) Filter floss/sponge is not needed below the top plate of the reactor. With 2 ball gate valves (before and after the reactor lines), the level of control is more than adequate to make sure the top level of the biopellets are well below the top plate.

3) I tied my Mag9.5 return pump into the reactor line. Experimenting with different amounts of flow, I've found the best fluidity to come from using the same PVC width for both the in and return lines. I've seen other reactors use a 1/4" in/out line so I used 1/4" tubing for the return line to begin with. I didn't like how well I could regulate the flow with the 1/4" tube valve. Maybe it was the manufacturer or not; but using a 1/2" PVC ball valve gave much better control than the 1/4" tube valve.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hows the tank coming along? I just read through the thread so forgive me if I didn't see it, but what kind of skimmer did you go with?
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to Salt Water Hobby

I am in my 4th week of building my first Reef Aquarium. I purchased a 29 gal BioCube. I purchased the live rock, put in a few snails, crabs and a few inverts. Looking forward to buying a few more fish before installing some coral.

I am having fun so far!

Jerry
Eastchester, NY

Tags
1.5g, 125 gallon, build, diy biopellet reactor, diy stand, ick, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com