Rick's 225g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is pretty crazy about your anemone. They must be really happy. Keep us posted with your controller results. It might be an eventual purchase on my end after an upgrade.

Well haven't updated in awhile. Been busy with the baby and just enjoying life in general.

Unfortunately, our family went on vacation for a few weeks and the house sitters over fed the tank (even though I put the required daily amount into pill containers). "They looked so hungry" it seems. Unfortunately trates and phosphates went through the roof and I ended up loosing all my sps corals except for a few monti's, one acro, and my cabbage pavona coral.

I've been slowly acquiring new acro frags and small colonies to replace the ones I lost. Things are slowly getting back to normal in the tank. Here's a recent FTS.

Attachments

• IMG_20131018_092358_797.jpg
    IMG_20131018_092358_797.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 101
Well that sucks! We were only gone for 4 days and I left detailed instructions for the guy I had come over. It's almost like you need to have a reefer tank sit to be sure nothing bad happens. I know acros are sensitive but had no idea they could be wiped out if n03and p04 came up a little- i would at least expect a little more drawn out death w a little bleaching or recession first. How high was n03 po4?

Well that sucks! We were only gone for 4 days and I left detailed instructions for the guy I had come over. It's almost like you need to have a reefer tank sit to be sure nothing bad happens. I know acros are sensitive but had no idea they could be wiped out if n03and p04 came up a little- i would at least expect a little more drawn out death w a little bleaching or recession first. How high was n03 po4?

Yeah tell me about it! I may just ask some of the folks at my LFS to come over to handle the aquarium care and make sure our friends don't touch the tank.

When I came home the trates were at 20, and phosphates were off the charts. My trates are usually sitting around 0.5 ppm. I have the Elos expertline phosphates kit and it only goes up to 0.14 ppm. This has been perfect for my needs since I try not to go about .06 or so. I didn't even bother taking a sample to the LFS to check. I knew it was bad.

Fixed up a few things. The impellers on my two Koralia 1400's went bad a few weeks ago and started to split at the seams. To be honest I wasn't sure if they went bad when I put them on the Hydor wave controller. Either way, I contacted Hydor and they replaced both impellers free of charge. They are also sending 2 new covers so that they will not run in reverse when used on the wave controller. Their customer service is really top notch. I was really thinking about getting a Jebao wp40 for my tank, but their horrid customer service (if any) has been scaring me away. After my experience with hydor, I may just grab another of their large powerheads.

Attached is a pic of a busted impeller next to a new one in case this helps anyone at some point. You can see the damage and oxidation of the old shaft.

Attachments

• Hydor impellers.jpg
    Hydor impellers.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 96
Also decided to change out my RODI filters. I had planned to replace the filters after a year of use, but waited an additional year out of pure laziness. :facepalm:

In my defense, the TDS coming out was still reading 0 and I could notice no effect in my tank. I just decided to change them since I had the filters lying around and from what others have said that it prolongs the RO membrane with regular filter replacement.

Attached is a pic of my sediment filter, which to be honest, doesn't look very "dirty". I've seen the sediment filters on the rodi filters of other hobbyists, and mine looks almost brand new in comparison. Not bad for 2 years of use i guess.

Would anyone happen to have more detailed info as to why rodi filters should be replaced at least yearly?

Attachments

• Old Sediment filter on RODI.jpg
    Old Sediment filter on RODI.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 105
I ended up purchasing two gigs last week. I've been looking for a couple of these guys for quite some time. They were doing ok in the DT for a couple days.

img_2699160_0_bbf838b68740f3163ad1e0319fa8cc99.jpg

img_2699160_1_e38e758aa1655acb5c6bdd034241ca3c.jpg

Unfortunately one isn't doing so well. I'm currently treating in QT. The purple one is doing fairly well with minimal pellets. The Blue unfortunately is not. Hopefully things will turn around in the next few days. Absolutely love these anemones. Really hoping both turn out ok.

img_2699160_2_05674eec89f5548d7315baf639a82853.jpg

really cool anemones, I hope they make it

that kind are they? I dont know what a gig is.

thanks

Good Luck
cant wait to see more photos of your lovely tank

Very nice! They are Gigantea or giant carpet anemone. Theyre tough from what I've heard I hope he pulls through for you.

Yes. Stichodactyla gigantea. Not nearly as hardy as the hadonni carpets, but IMO a much more beautiful species. Both are looking a bit better, but it's a bit deceiving since they go through their deflate/inflate cycles. We'll see how they do later tonight right before lights go out.

Unfortunately the blue gig didn't make it. The purple one is doing quite well though.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131029_132805.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131029_132805.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for asking Hank. I forgot to update. Always do that. Anyways, the purple gig did not make it either.

img_2782836_0_833295b2180d728bf5823344b21f5cc7.jpg

After discussing with other reefers (as to why things went south after they were looking good throughout antibiotics treatment), we hypothesized it was due to allelopathy from another anemone. I have 4 BTAs in there as well, but they didn't strike me as the culprit. I did however have a rather large 11" sebae anenome. I wasn't a fan of the colors so I decided to turn it into the LFS for store credit.

I waited for a few weeks and purchased two new gigs. A small green and a small purple. They took to the new tank rather well and kept their mouths closed tight . Here they are now, each hosting a pair of clowns. It's been a few weeks now, so here's hoping they survive.

img_2782836_1_dbf70509f9e003264cc4799d7062d064.jpg

img_2782836_2_81367bea6820520fb1716ba8faf09ba6.jpg

Thanks Hank. I'd love to add a blue down the line, but we'll see. Would be nice to get 3 pairs of clowns each in its own anenomes, but I'd have to monitor that carefully.

Back
Top Bottom