Last week while I was cleaning my 125g tank I ended up popping the center brace of the tank. After the initial fear and anger set it, I decided it was time to upgrade. I never really liked the size of the tank (60" x 18"" x 26"). It had no depth and in order to get a decent aquascape going, I had to sacrifice space in the back between the glass. This has caused flow problems ever since I had it set up. It also wasn't drilled. I had been using a DIY overflow that required an aqualifter pump for priming. Really not the best way to go, but was all I could do at the time. The tank was previously used and had some minor scratches. I ended up buying it for a steal since the brace was cracked which I replaced with a DIY aluminum corner siding.
I ended up purchasing a 225g tank from my LFS
. It's a 72" x 30" x 24"H starfire tank. I love the size of this thing. a 30" depth will give me a ton of room to aquascape and leave enough room around the rocks for great flow.
I built the stand using 2x4's and 2x8's. I decided to build a larger stand and give myself an extra 10 inches behind the tank. This will allow me to get behind it and clean it from the back if needed. The stand is pretty tall at 44", but I designed it this way to give me ample room to adjust things in my sump. When I built my previous stand I didn't bother calculating the height and barely made it tall enough to house my skimmer inside. I wanted more room this time.
Here are a few pictures of the stand/build so far.
Link to old 125g build:Original 125g Build