Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rick's 225g Build

Last week while I was cleaning my 125g tank I ended up popping the center brace of the tank. After the initial fear and anger set it, I decided it was time to upgrade. I never really liked the size of the tank (60" x 18"" x 26"). It had no depth and in order to get a decent aquascape going, I had to sacrifice space in the back between the glass. This has caused flow problems ever since I had it set up. It also wasn't drilled. I had been using a DIY overflow that required an aqualifter pump for priming. Really not the best way to go, but was all I could do at the time. The tank was previously used and had some minor scratches. I ended up buying it for a steal since the brace was cracked which I replaced with a DIY aluminum corner siding.

I ended up purchasing a 225g tank from my LFS. It's a 72" x 30" x 24"H starfire tank. I love the size of this thing. a 30" depth will give me a ton of room to aquascape and leave enough room around the rocks for great flow.

I built the stand using 2x4's and 2x8's. I decided to build a larger stand and give myself an extra 10 inches behind the tank. This will allow me to get behind it and clean it from the back if needed. The stand is pretty tall at 44", but I designed it this way to give me ample room to adjust things in my sump. When I built my previous stand I didn't bother calculating the height and barely made it tall enough to house my skimmer inside. I wanted more room this time.

Here are a few pictures of the stand/build so far.

Link to old 125g build:Original 125g Build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	123697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	123698  

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	123699  

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Looking good! How the window doesn't get direct sun, but I'm sure you already considered that. I've heard cool things about the clarity from starfire glass, but it scratches easy? I can't wait to follow a fresh build from on of the guys who's helped me become as close to an expert as possible.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Fish R friends, not food!

Looking awesome already! I can't wait to see this one come together!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice tank. The stand is massive lotsa space under that one.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Very nice, lots of space.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Looking good! How the window doesn't get direct sun, but I'm sure you already considered that. I've heard cool things about the clarity from starfire glass, but it scratches easy? I can't wait to follow a fresh build from on of the guys who's helped me become as close to an expert as possible.
Thanks Hank. Yes the windows are an issue. But this was the only spot the tank could fit and not make the living room feel awkward. I'm planning on putting some shade covers on the outside of the windows down the road.

Starfire does scratch more easily but not as bad as acrylic ime. Figured I'd just go with it. I really enjoy how clear the tank is. Makes me miss acrylic.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm hoping to get my plumbing done today. The tank has three 1 1/2" overflows. I'm seriously debating tying all 3 lines and plumb it to a single 2" line and run that line only into my sump. I'm a fan of low flow in my sump/return so I'm not worried about tying them to one line. Not sure if i want to create the manifold up above the stand or bring the lines down into the stand and create the manifold in there. Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121009_112254.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	123768  
Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plumbing is set up. I decided to run 3 separate lines instead of running them into 1 larger pipe. I may go for a closed loop circulation down the road so I figured i would keep my options open. All that's left to do is attach it to some pond supply hose. For whatever reason i couldn't find flexible spa hose in 1 1/2" size. The pond supply hose is 2" and isn't as flexible but will work just fine.

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_112425.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	124030
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_112435.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	124031  
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's another look of the plumbing under the stand
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_112633.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	124036  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'll be honest, I don't see the point of a closed loop system with how cheap powerheads can be. That and it is easy to adjust with a powerhead over a closed loop, atleast how I envision things.

I can't wait to see how your setup looks underneath. I want to get a new tank and build an ideal base and canopy for it badly. After having the first tank on a table and second on a DIY stand the previous owner made, It'd be nice to have everything under the tank rather than behind it on the floor... Dang it Rick you got me going again!

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon, build, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com