Ricordea placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just ordered one and am wondering the optimal place to put it. I've read the sand bed or somewhere low with low-moderate light and moderate flow.

Also, do they self acclimate or should I drip him?

Thanks!

I have mine on a rock mid tank, but most of my coral are moderate light and flow. Depends what you,have in the tank and how strong your lights are. Also, I think they prefer to attach to,rock, but in Florida you can't sell them attached to,a rock. Weird, but apparently true...

Good luck

Mine does well on sand bed low light in a shaded area with moderate flow! You will find the spot and it will be happy!

Cool thanks for the info. I'm getting it tomorrow so I'll put him in and try a low spot that doesn't get a lot of flow. As for acclimation should I drip him or do they self acclimate like the zoos?

Thanks!

No corals "self acclimate", including zoas.... they should all be dripped & dipped (except sponges). Technically, they should be quarantined as well if they were kept in a tank with fish to prevent introducing ich (or anything else) to the DT.

I have 6 ricordeas around the front perimeter of my tank, down on the sand bed. They came on frag plugs, so I just left them on & stuck them partially down in the sand, and they are doing great....

I float mine and add a little bit of water a couple times then dip them for 3 mins in the water they are in then rinse them in a cup of tank water not in tank! Then place them in. I use seachem coral dip there are many out there.follow instruction on bottle .

Ok I'll float then drip. I don't have any coral dip so I'll go to the store tomorrow and get some.

There weren't any fish in with this one that I know of (reefs 2 go?). Either way qt is a no go anyway I had to use it for copper treatment a few months ago.

I thought the acclimation advice I got from my lfs about the zoas was bogus - he said float for temp and put in and the polyps will just open up as they become acclimated- fortunately they're doing good.

Haven't heard about corals bringing in ich or anything like that but i guess it seems plausible.

Thanks for the input!

Definitely dip your corals. I got a batch of corals that I put directly in my tank and forgot to dip and got lazy and decided not to do it and a week later I found one of one zoa frag wasn't happy and I found a nudibranch on it. I dipped the corals which I should have done in the first place.

With reefs 2 go, you're probably OK with not QT'ing, but definitely float for temp, drip acclimate, then dip. Doesn't matter the source of the coral, even if it's from a friend's tank that you know to be in good shape, always follow the same procedure (especially the dip).

And anything that's been in a tank with fish can bring ich spores into your tank.... corals, snails, crabs, rock, sand, etc.

Ok so I got it yesterday and dripped him after floating then did the dip and sure enough as soon as I put it in the water two critters darted off the frag I'm pretty sure one was an amphipod but I have no idea what the other was and I def didn't see it while doing a visual inspection. Only one day later and it appears to be happy so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice on the dip I am definitely a believer now!

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• image-3861625028.jpg
    image-3861625028.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 257
Mine are doing great at the top of my 75g under 4x54 T5 new lighting. I have very medium flow on them. I try to not have them wavering around at all.

Attachments

• image-2780987028.jpg
    image-2780987028.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 137
That one looks sweet! That's good to know bc that is the same lighting setup I have an I plan on getting more of these they have an awesome look.

Back
Top Bottom