Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
is having Nitrate 0 a bad thing? Does a reef need it?
I am not sure 0 nitrate is attanable in a closed system. We can get to a level that is immeasurable for a hobbyest test kit, but I don't think we ever get to 0. There are even some corals that would die in a 0 nutrient system, some need dirtier water for their survival, course our idea of dirty and theirs are on a different scale, LOL.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 PM   #12
My nitrate Is at 2ppm which is where it has been nor for months.. However I would not be worried if my nitrates went up to lets say 40ppm.. unless it happened rapidly.... I honestly dont know How I have kept my nitrates so low.. Some state that it was due to Algae in the tank.. Well all the agae is gone and has been for a few weeks and still nitrate is at 2ppm... I have tested with the reference provided with the kit and it test accurate as well.. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones Or unlucky ones Depending on how you look at it.. I personally think that having my water that clean is causing my Elegance coral to DIE.. I have been tempted to pull it out and place it in another tank but I just think it would make it worse as the lighting on that tank Sux bad... however I dont think its as "clean" as the Main tank.. Basically its a tank where I put a few mantis shrimp in there and test it every so often Probably not as much as I should but.. All levels are at 0 with the exception if nitrates which I havent test in at least a month if not more.. I have heard that some people say that anything higher than 10 is not good and anything higher than 20 is lethal to some inverts... But as with everything else in this hobby things change from one person to another..

Old 10-22-2003, 12:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
you want to have some nitrates and after the cycle thats probably all youll have. no nitrite/ammonia. Just checking for ph/alk/calcium/nitrates and gravity. I actually just checked my tank for nitrates and its also really high. Whats the best way to remove nitrates when it spikes up?
I never thought you would, but always knew you could.
biotoxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
best way to lower nitrates is water change.
Hookemhorns_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm guessing the LFS shop in question is testing for free nitrogen and too ignorant to know the difference. I believe the conversion is to divide by 4.4 or something like that to get actual disolved ppm values that are meaningfull and toxic to marine life. I also won't bother telling you my opinion of dry test kits. The ones for Nitrate seem to be the worst.

200 ppm is a septic tank - not an aquarium.

I know a lot of established reef tanks where the owner not only uses city water, but has nitrate levels in the 20-40ppm range as well. These are also your typically large, several years old reef tanks in the 100-300 gallon range that is full of established coral and LR, but has a sole happy damsel fish swiming around. Nitrate in that case can be relatively high since all the competitors and toxic waste producing microbes have long since starved out. I got money on the tank in question here fitting that description.

This is a far cry from your typical home 70 gallon with half a dozen fish and an army of crabs, snails and shrimp all cranking out loads of ammonia and waste. In that case the byproducts of decomposition are constantly building and need to either be broken down, or diluted with water changes. My advice is to not rely on water changes to reduce nitrate and combat it biologically with a combination of healthy LR, good tank circulation, a medium sand bed, and a skimmer.
wseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
still...let's just use 200. If you divide that by 4.4 it's still over 40ppm. In some people's opinions, that's a LOT of nitrate. However, there are many fish, and inverts in these tanks I mentioned...not just coral.
Hookemhorns_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to see that same water tested with some wet chemistry.

I didn't even know there were marine test kits that could read that high.

wseaton is offline   Reply With Quote

level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com