Riddle...Whats brown on the sand, light during the day and..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL same here,, my tank is about 18 days old. Doesn't seem to be a big problem but still wondering it is normal and will it go away?

Jeff

Is the brown algae powdery when disturbed or does it come of in sheetlike layers? The powdery type will be diatoms and will clear up once the silicates that feed it are used up. The cyano feeds on excess nutrients(phosphates). You can do some things to help but until you stop the nutrient source(overfeeding, overpopulation) it will continue to be a problem. For now if it is cyano you can siphon it out and increase waterflow and that should keep it from taking hold.

I have both,, but mostly brown and powdery.doesn't look terrible right now. tank is starting to look decent but still have tons of things to go yet LOL. thanks

Jeff

I dont have sheet like. Its just grainy. I guess I have to wait for the silicates to get used up. I use RO water but I'm not sure if its DI. I guess I'll have to get a test for silicates then.

Thanx RMPD

for the diatoms you can use some turbo snails and hermits if you are impatient. I used them and they knocked of the diatoms in 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom